This Easy Vegan Minestrone Skillet Pasta is 100% gluten free, family friendly and packed with all of the familiar flavours of minestrone soup in a skillet pasta dinner!
I don’t know what it is, but one of my all time favourite soups is a humble minestrone soup. I just love the simple combination of tomatoes, vegetables, pasta and beans. There is nothing special about it but it always satisfies for some reason. So, while minestrone soup is always a nice starter or lunch, I wanted to turn it into a more hearty meal. Introducing my vegan minestrone skillet pasta! You’re welcome.
What is in this Vegan Minestrone Skillet Pasta?
This is such an easy dish to make with a lot of staples you may already have in your fridge, pantry and freezer. To make this pasta, you will need:
- Chickpea or lentil shell pasta
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green beans
- Chili flakes
- Nutritional yeast
- Good quality balsamic vinegar
- Low sodium Kidney beans
- Finely chopped kale leaves or spinach
- Vegan parmesan, for serving
How do i make this recipe?
This one pan pasta is so easy to pull off! You start by sauteing some onions, carrot and garlic in olive oil. Then adding the zucchini and green beans. Next, I add the passata, oregano, chili, balsamic, nutritional yeast and seasoning it with salt and pepper. I then just toss in the cooked pasta and beans and serve with vegan parmesan, if desired. Serve with lots of crusty bread and get in there!
Is this one pan pasta good for toddlers, kids and families?
OMG. Yes. My son was OBSESSED with this and I loved that it had a double dose of protein from the chickpea pasta and the beans, PLUS loads of veggies. It isn’t spicy so it’s really easy for toddlers and picky kids to enjoy.
What kind of pasta do you recommend i use?
I do prefer using chickpea or lentil pasta which has a lot more fibre and protein than traditional pasta. It’s also naturally gluten free!
can i meal prep this recipe in a big batch for the week?
This vegan minestrone dinner makes so much that you can absolutely make it on a Sunday and have it divided up into meals and snacks throughout the week.
do you have any other family friendly easy pasta recipes?
You bet! I am kinda obsessed with pasta dishes right now because well, I have a toddler and toddlers apparently like pasta!
Have you tried my vegan minestrone skillet pasta? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
Easy Vegan Minestrone Skillet Pasta (Gluten Free, Family Friendly)
- 5 oz Chickpea or lentil shell pasta cooked according to box instructions
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small Onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small zucchini cut into half moons
- 2 small carrots peeled and cut into half moons
- 1 cup Green beans cut into 1/3rds
- 2 cups passata
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x 19 oz can of low sodium Kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups finely chopped kale leaves or spinach
- Vegan parmesan for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large nonstick skillet or cast iron skillet and heat over medium high. Add the onions, and carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute.
- Add the zucchini and green beans and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until you get a bit of colour on the zucchini.
- Add the passata, oregano, chilli flakes, balsamic, nutritional yeast and a generous few pinches of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Toss in the cooked pasta and kidney beans. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed.
- To serve, top with vegan parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if desired.