This Pizza Chicken Foil Pack Dinner is a super easy gluten free and keto friendly meal that is super quick to put together!
Okay guys, you need to know that I LOVE all things pizza. I love pizza casserole, pizza soup, pizza fondue, pizza bagel bites! If it tastes like pizza, I want it. Kids also tend to love all things that taste like pizza, so if we can sneak lots of healthy ingredients into dinner and call it a pizza flavoured XYZ, there’s usually a better chance of them at least trying it.
Well, since so many of you (and let’s be real, me too) are always looking for new and fun ways to get out of our chicken rut, I thought I would share my new go-to recipe, my pizza chicken foil pack dinner! Hello, lover!
what is a foil pack dinner?
I love foil pack dinners because they’re a great way to quickly cook food without the need for a lot of added oil, while ensuring everything stays super moist and juicy. And you know that even though the word moist is offensive, dry chicken is even more offensive, so don’t let it happen. Basically you wrap up a bunch of ingredients into a piece of tin foil, seal it up tight and bake it in the oven until cooked through. This also works really well on a BBQ when your’e camping!
what do i need to make this pizza chicken foil pack dinner
This pizza chicken foil pack is super easy to pull off and is really modifiable depending on what you have in your fridge or what your family likes on their pizza. You’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- Pizza sauce
- Buffalo mozzarella cheese ball
- Cremini mushrooms
- Red Onion
- Bell peppers
- Dried oregano
how do i make this pizza chicken foil pack meal
To make this epic chicken dinner, you start by making tiny slits down each chicken breast, about 1/4″ from the bottom. Season with some salt and pepper, then insert some thinly sliced pieces of the mozzarella cheese.
Onto a rectangular piece of foil, add a variety of veggies and then place the chicken on top. Smear with the pizza sauce, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
Then you want to fold the foil over to make a book and seal it until all of the openings are closed. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, then open up the foil (very carefully), sprinkle with the parmesan and broil for 5 minutes.
can i make this pizza chicken dairy free?
You can absolutely use a dairy free cheese to make your pizza chicken if you want to get your pizza fix without dairy!
is this pizza chicken keto friendly, gluten free and low in carbs?
Yes, making this pizza chicken foil pack dinner is naturally gluten free and low in carbs. You can also ensure it’s keto friendly by choosing a pizza sauce with no sugar, or making your own low sugar pizza sauce.
tell me what other amazing chicken recipes you’ve got!
Once you’ve nailed this pizza chicken foil pack meal, you’ve got to check out some of these other tasty winner winner chicken dinners.
Pizza Chicken Foil Pack Dinner
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 large buffalo mozzarella cheese ball
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/ Red Onion sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Start by making tiny slits down each chicken breast, about 1/4" from the bottom. Season with some salt and pepper, then insert the thinly sliced pieces of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spritz a rectangular piece of foil with oil, add a variety of veggies and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top. Smear with the pizza sauce, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold the foil over to make a book and seal it until all of the openings are closed. Repeat with the remaining three chicken breasts and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, then open up the foil (very carefully), sprinkle with the parmesan and broil for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
Updated on September 22nd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.