This Healthy Pizza Soup is an easy Keto friendly, gluten free, family friendly recipe that will help you get your pizza fix without the crust.
Friday pizza night totally has a whole new meaning now that I’m a mom. My weeks feel so busy and hectic that I’m honestly always so excited to just put the kid to bed, open a bottle, veg out with my hubs, eat pizza and go to bed by 9 pm. Ha, no more fancy dinners out required to impress me. We actually have this really insanely decadent “Detroit style” pizza place that delivers to our place that we love sooooo much but it’s probably not the kind of thing we order every week. Not only is it pretty heavy but it’s really expensive (like $25 for the small size each). So when I’m craving pizza, but don’t want to pay the hefty bill, I’m making this Healthy Pizza Soup. This soup is perfect for these cold winter nights, is keto friendly, gluten free, and totally family friendly- it will definitely become the star of your friday nights in.
How to Make Healthy Pizza Soup Keto, Gluten Free and Family Friendly
This healthy pizza soup includes all of the flavours of a great pizza pie, but without the crust. That means that by default this recipe is keto friendly, gluten free, and loaded with amazing fibre rich veggies.
This recipe for my healthy pizza soup is deliciously versatile because you can dress it up however you normally order your pizza. The base of this soup is not surprisingly tomato, with lots of pizza friendly veggies thrown in. I always order sausage on my pizza, so I pack mine with turkey sausage, but if you’re a pepperoni lover, or you’re vegetarian, then by all means, you do you! Chicken, eggplant, zucchini, hot peppers, bacon, and more! Okay so I’m not sure I would put pineapple in this pizza soup (a la Hawaiian) but if you try it, I would love to know how it turns out!
No matter what you throw in there, the most important element, of course, is the cheese crust on top. You can use a kitchen torch or a broiler to get a nice melty gooey top, but if your bowls are not broiler friendly I’ve got a little trick. Place a mound of grated cheese on a silpat on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown, then just transfer your cheese “lace” to the top of the soup. YEP. I KNOW. I JUST CHANGED YOUR LIFE. PUT THAT CHEESE LACE ON EVERYTHING.
What would you put in your version if you were making this healthy pizza soup?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Healthy Pizza Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb turkey or pork sausage if keto, casing removed and pulled into pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can 28 san Marzano tomatoes cut up with scissors
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese grated
- To a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers and tomato paste, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and broth and cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the grated cheese. Using a blow torch, lightly brulee the cheese. Alternatively, you can put a small handful of cheese on a baking sheet lined with a silpat and broil until bubbly and golden brown. Enjoy immediately.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.