This Pizza Fondue is a Keto Friendly, Gluten Free Appetizer for entertaining this holiday season without the fuss!
There are very few food trends of the 60s and 70s that I can still get on board with, but fondue is definitely an exception to my rule. Is there really anything better than a big pot of melty, gooey, oozy cheese and tasty snacks for dipping? I didn’t think so. While I would be happy with ANY kind of melted cheese on a meatball, add in the classic flavours of pizza and you’ve got a serious winner. HELLO pizza fondue! This is a simple, keto friendly, gluten free appetizer that is perfect for entertaining or for a casual date night in.
If you’re a fan of pizza, and let’s be real, WHO THE HECK IS NOT A FAN OF PIZZA, you are going to go nuts about this pizza fondue because it basically lets the best part of pizza (aka the cheese) shine. No one likes when the bread to cheese to sauce ratio is off, so when the cheese is the star, everything is right in the world.
How to Make Pizza Fondue
To make pizza fondue, you start by tossing your cheese with cornstarch to help ensure it melts evenly and thickens up the fondue nicely, then you add it to a bubbling pot of broth with all the usual pizza spices. Then, add in some pizza sauce to make it more.. well.. pizza-y, and get dipping. If you want to keep this recipe low carb, you can stick to classic meaty pizza toppings like sausages, pepperoni and meatballs, along with tons of colourful crunchy veggies.
And if you want to maximize the pleasure (and pizza) factor, I recommend throwing in some bread – you can even buy and bake off pizza dough to cut into strips.
So lovelies, tell me what kind of cheese vessels would you choose for this pizza fondue?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 220 ml container of no sugar added pizza sauce
- Veggies sausages, meatballs, bread and pepperoni sticks for dipping
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese with the cornstarch.
- Place the broth, worchestershire, lemon, garlic powder, onion and oregano into a saucepot over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheese in, one handful at a time, and stir with a wooden spoon in an S configuration until melted.
- Immediately stir in the pizza sauce and immediately transfer to a fondue pot with a heater underneath.
- Serve with sliced veggies, sausages, meatballs, pepperoni sticks and bread (if desired).
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.