For our upcoming girls night, I decided to lighten up some of our go-to favourite dishes with lower calorie fare! This Thai inspired cold noodle salad combines quickly pickled veg (aka. quickles), sweet mango, lots of fresh herbs and my secret ingredient- House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles.
Yes, folks, you can splurp noodles to your hearts delight for hardly any calories or carbs at all! Half of an 8 oz bag (about 1/2 cup) contains only 10-15 baby calories, 0.5 gram of fat, and 3 grams of carbs but gives you 2 grams of fibre!
They’re also gluten free, vegan, cholesterol-free and non-GMO project verified! Compare these shirataki noodles to a 1/2 cup of normal pasta, and you’re looking at a savings of more than 80 calories and 15 grams of carbs!
You know what that means? You get to eat more noodles (and I LOVE noodles!) Shirataki noodles come in spaghetti, fettucini, angel hair (US only) and macaroni (US only) so you have lots of healthy swaps for your favourite pasta dishes!
But how do shirataki noodles actually taste? Honestly, they don’t have any kind of strong distinct flavour, which is why they’re such an amazing substitute for rice noodles in this flavour-filled Asian dish!
How to Prep Shirataki Noodles:
1)Drain the shirataki noodles from the liquid they’re packed in.
2) Rinse the noodles under cold water.
3)Cut them using kitchen scissors into smaller pieces.
4)Pat the shirataki noodles dry with paper towels.
5)Add them to your recipe cold or heat them in a pan with sauce, olive oil or pesto. Enjoy!
The result? A healthier girls night meal perfect for a group of chit-chatty dietitians (two of which have weddings on the way!) that was completely gobbled up guilt-free!
What noodle dish do you want to see made low carb, low calorie, and gluten-free with these awesome House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles? Leave a comment below to give me some inspiration for new recipes!
Asian Shirataki Noodles with Low Carb Mango & Pickled Vegetable Salad
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 radish sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 1 English cucumber sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 2 carrots sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 1 pieces bag House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccini noodles rinsed, cut into smaller and dried
- 1 mango sliced into julienne
- 1 bell pepper sliced into thin julienne
- 1 small red chili finely sliced and seeded
- 2 tbsp mint leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts finely chopped
- Toss everything into a bowl or container and allow to the vegetables to marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Mix the vegetables with the noodles, mango, bell pepper, chili, and herbs.
- In a small bowl, mix about 2 tablespoons of the reserved marinade with the chili sauce and sesame oil. Toss with the noodles and vegetables.
- Top with the peanuts and additional herbs, if desired. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.