This easy and healthy sumac shrimp & crispy chickpea salad with figs, beets and feta is the perfect light lunch or dinner.
With the recent explosion of Middle Eastern cuisine in downtown Toronto, I have become absolutely obsessed with recreating the flavours at home. Sumac, a staple Middle- Eastern spice, has become my new go-to seasoning. I put that s*it on everything- hummus, rice, vegetables, chicken, salad dressings and more- I’m admittedly obsessed. It has a bright, tart flavour similar to lemon zest, and it lends a deep reddish-purple speckle aesthetic to any dish. So beautiful and so delicious.
You can easily make this recipe vegetarian if you would like to omit the shrimp- you could even make it vegan by leaving out the cheese or using a non-dairy product. It’s your lunch, so it’s totally your call- give it a try your style!
Have any of you tried using Sumac yet? If so, what are your favourite dishes to use it on?
Sumac Shrimp & Crispy Chickpea Salad with Figs, Beets, and Feta
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp shells and tails removed
- 1 pinch salt, paprika and sumac generous pinch of each
- 6 cups Spring Mix lettuce
- 1/2 cup pickled beets sliced
- 1/4 cup mint leaves chiffonade
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta crumbled
- 8 figs quartered
- 1 English cucumber halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- To make the salad dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Adjust seasonings, as necessary. Set aside.
- Preheat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chickpeas and a generous pinch of salt, pepper and paprika. Saute until golden and crispy, shaking or stirring often, for about 6 minutes.
- Preheat the oil in the nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, along with a pinch of salt, paprika and sumac. Cook, flipping once, until shrimp are pink and curled- about 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the lettuce, cucumber, beets, figs, feta and mint.
- Divide the salad between four plates, top with the shrimp, chickpeas and the salad dressing.
Updated on February 23rd, 2018
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.