With Middle Eastern quickly becoming the hot new trend in dining, I couldn’t help but want to whip up a healthy Middle Eastern inspired salad at home.This recipe was inspired by a shaved summer zucchini salad I had at Taste of Toronto by Robbie Hojilla of Hudson Kitchen. I was so in love with its simplicity and flavour that I had to whip something up similar at home.
You can find sumac, a very popular Middle Eastern spice with a lemony tangy flavour, at any Middle Eastern grocery store or in some regular grocery stores.
PC makes sumac under its Black Label, which is what I used in this recipe. Go ahead and free style with whatever shave-able veggies you’ve got in the house. I used a variety of coloured carrots, but keep it simple with orange if that’s all you got.
Take a peak at what I did and give it a try yourself. What are you doing with your excess zucchini this late Summer?
Middle Eastern Shaved Zucchini & Carrot Salad
- 3 yellow zucchini thinly shaved with a potato peeler
- 2 green zucchini thinly shaved with a potato peeler
- 4 coloured carrots thinly shaved with a potato peeler
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sumac
- 3 tbsp pistachios finely chopped
- 1/4 pomegranate seeds only
- 1/4 cup feta finely crumbled
- Put the shaved vegetables into the bowl.
- Make the salad dressing by mixing together the lemon juice, zest, olive oil, mustard and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over the vegetables and sprinkle with the sumac, pistachio, pomegranate seeds and feta. Toss to coat and enjoy.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.