This Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait is a gluten free plant based perfect light dessert packed with Middle-Eastern inspired flavour and a delicious date caramel scented with tahini.
Dessert needs to happen more often in my house, and that means that it needs to be relatively fast, easy and absolutely delicious. I don’t have time to bake a damn cake every day, but I’ll happily put a little effort into a sweet treat most nights of the week. This Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait has quickly become a weekly indulgence because, hey, life’s too short not to eat dessert. This is something you can easily make all of the components ahead of time (or even in one big batch for the week), and just assemble when a craving hits.
How to Make Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait
Let’s start with a wee chat about my unfailing love of figs. Figs are pretty rad. I’ve always said they’re like natures pop rocks with their teeny tiny little seeds crackling between your teeth, only to give way to sweet jammy flavour. If I could eat one fruit for the rest of all time, it would undoubtably be figs.
Next, a chia pudding I actually like. I can’t get into a basic almond milk + chia seed combo. Ladies, don’t lie to yourself, it tastes a bit bleh. Chia pudding neeeeeeds that creamy factor and that’s what luscious coconut cream gives it.
Finally, a tahini date caramel. HELLO MAMMA. This is the money shot. I adore all things caramel (it’s legit my favourite food group, caramel things). But I also love a sweet and salty combo and the nutty sesame based tahini is a great way to balance the sweet. I make my caramel with fresh juicy dates so there’s no need to add any extra sugar. I suggest you make a double or triple batch, it will keep in the fridge for up to a month.
This Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait actually makes me want to explode into a paragraph of excited emojis it’s so good.
So now I need to know, what would you make if you were preparing the ultimate dessert for yourself?
Have you tried this Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait?
Leave me a comment below and don’t forget to leave this recipe a review if you try it!
Vegan Roasted Fig Chia Pudding and Tahini Date Caramel Parfait
- 8 fresh figs halved
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ tsp za’atar
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons Hemp hearts
- In a bowl, mix together the almond milk, maple, vanilla and chia seeds until smooth. Fold in the coconut cream. Cover, and transfer to the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silpat.
- Place the figs, cut side up onto the sheet and drizzle with maple syrup. Sprinkle with the za’atar and roast in the oven for 15 minutes until caramelized and soft.
- In a food processor, puree the dates until they reach a gummy ground consistency. Add in the tahini, lemon and 2/3 cup of almond milk. Puree until very smooth and as thick as toffee sauce- you may need an extra few tablespoons of almond milk to thin it out depending on the size of your dates. Add a pinch of fleur de sel, to taste and set aside.
- To assemble, divide the chia pudding between four bowls or glasses, top with the roasted figs and sprinkle generously with pistachios and hemp hearts.
Updated on October 23rd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.