Honestly, holiday entertaining has got me stuck in a heavy food rut. After days of gravy and pie, I am dying for a good solid salad.
Even at the holidays, when life is all about indulgence, arugula salad is one of my favourites because the peppery flavour helps cut through all the other richness on the spread.
It’s not about calorie counting, it’s simply about giving the old palate a solid flavour break. Sometimes I just need something refreshing, green and light to wipe the slate clean between all those super gluttonous bites.
This arugula salad does that and oh so much more.
Why I love this Arugula Salad
It has a nice balance of flavours and textures with the mild crunchy celery, the sweet acidic apples, the peppery arugula and sweet pecans. The arugula salad also a great make-ahead dish that can sit while you worry about getting all the hot plates on the table at the exact same time. I get it, that can be stressful, you need all the salads you can get.
And don’t just think this bad boy is limited to the holidays. It’s so simple and inexpensive to pull together that it can easily sass-up a casual mid-week meal. Honestly, this salad can make rice-a-roni look gourmet- trust me, I know.
What are your favourite add-ins for arugula salad? What are your go-to holiday salads? Leave me a message below, I would love to hear your ideas and what has worked well in your home!
Celery, Pecan & Apple Arugula Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
- 5 oz arugula washed and dried
- 1 leaves head of celery and stalks sliced thinly on bias
- 1 red apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup candied pecans chopped
- Mix together the arugula, celery and apple in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the apple cider, extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and top with the candied pecans. Serve immediately.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.