This recipe for yummy grilled shrimp skewers was actually inspired by Mexican Corn which features grilled corn topped with lime, salty crumbled cheese and chili powder. It’s one of my favourite dishes when I go out for Mexican, but it’s so not date night friendly. You get crema all over your face, corn all in your teeth, and it’s a bit of a crazy fat bomb. Not to worry, I’ve got your back with this figure friendly shrimp dish.
Grilled shrimp skewers are one of my go-to dinners in the Summer when I’m craving the flavour of the grill, but don’t want to overdo it with pricey high fat steaks. Shrimp is pretty much fat free, super quick cooking, and pretty much foolproof to prepare.
Grilled Shrimp + Peaches = Perfection
The combination of the sweet shrimp and peaches (made even sweeter with the caramelized honey) with the sour lime, spicy chili powder and salty feta cheese is absolutely irresistible on a hot summer’s day. You’re going to just die when you taste this goodness.
These shrimp skewers make for a lovely weeknight supper served along a light salad, or can be served on smaller skewers (with just one shrimp and one slice of peach) as passed hors d’oeuvre for a dinner party. Either way, it’s fab with a margarita so you’ll want to be sure to include that on the menu.
What’s your go-to Summer dinner recipe? Do you like cooking shrimp or other proteins on the grill? Leave a comment with your family’s favourites.
Healthy Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Honey Chili Peach
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lb large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 peaches cut into 8 pieces each
- 1 1/2 tsp lime zest
- pinch Terre Exotique’s Diamond Salt with Esplette Chilli Pepper generous pinch
- 2 tbsp reduced fat feta cheese finely crumbled
- Lime wedges for serving
- Cilantro for serving
- Soak skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling on high.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, lime juice and honey. Add the shrimp and peaches, and toss to coat fully.
- Thread shrimp and peach pieces onto 8 skewers.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes, turning once, or until browned and the shrimp become opaque throughout.
- Pile onto a serving platter and sprinkle with the lime zest, the Esplette Chilli pepper salt and the crumbled feta cheese. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.