My favourite healthy peanut butter chocolate smoothie with banana and flax makes for a balanced breakfast or snack any day!
I am so loving my VitaMix blender lately that I’ve been whipping up smoothies almost daily as a healthy breakfast or easy snack. I even wrote a round up of some of my favourite smoothies here! This peanut butter chocolate smoothie was one of my favourites because it combines my all time favourite flavour combination.
ADD FLAX TO CHOCOLATE -> A HEALTHY CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
This PB smoothie recipe is a fantastic after school or work snack to get you (or the kids) out of that 3 PM slump and on towards the homestretch called dinner.
Plus there’s no gluten, artificial sweeteners or added sugars in this smoothie! That means you won’t get that crazy blood sugar spike and crash that often accompanies some of these store-bought sugar-filled smoothies.
If serving this as breakfast, this smoothie pairs deliciously with this delicious recipe for Five Spice Peanut and Pumpkin Muffins (below) that I found off of the Peanut Bureau website. These babies are incredibly addictive and good for you.
Are you craving a peanut butter chocolate smoothie now? What’s your go-to after school or work snack?
For more great healthy snacking ideas that will keep you powered until dinner, check out the Peanut Bureau website.
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie with Banana and Flax
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 large frozen ripe banana diced
- 1 tsp flax
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Add everything to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
Five-Spice Peanut and Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 tbsp large flake oats
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped peanuts
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
- 1/2 c peanut oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a muffin pan. Combine oats, pumpkin seeds, peanuts and brown sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir flours with sugar, baking powder, five-spice powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk pumpkin with oil, water, eggs and vanilla. Whisk in peanut butter. Pour onto flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffins pan and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 22 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Disclaimer: The preceding recipe was developed in paid partnership with the Peanut Bureau, however, as always, all opinions are genuine.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.