These apple pie vegan protein granola cups are perfect post-workout recovery snacks made with vanilla protein powder, nuts and apples.
Hey friends, have you tried Lagree? It’s become my new fitness obsession. It’s basically a pilates reformer on fitness steroids with a hell of a lot more weights involved. I thought it would be super easy when I watched someone do it in a video, but then I tried and holy hell, nope. It’s non-stop time under tension to the point that every muscle shakes and aches and wants to collapse. After that, I desperately need some good post-workout recovery snacks and that’s where these Apple Pie Vegan Protein Granola Cups come into play.
How to Make Apple Pie Vegan Protein Granola Cups
I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate protein powder aside from obviously making shakes and smoothies. Baking with it has become my new endeavour and these Vegan Protein Granola Cups are so good it hurts. It’s basically just oats, freeze dried apples, and walnuts plus some natural apple juice and protein powder, but feel free to use whatever kind of delicious nuts or freeze dried fruit you want.
Also, I like using freeze dried instead of traditional tried because they are lower in sugar and calories and pack a pleasant crispy texture in these Vegan Protein Granola Cups. But hey, you use whatever you’ve got on hand. They’ll still be wickedly good.
These Apple Pie Vegan Protein Granola Cups are perfect as a gluten free post-workout recovery snack because they offer a combination of protein (from the protein powder, walnuts and flax), fibre (from the apples, oats, nuts and flax), healthy fats (coconut oil, nuts and flax) and of course carbs (from the apples, oats, and maple). Don’t think you don’t need carbs. Carbs are key to helping you drive the protein into the muscle ASAP so you can get the most out of every work-out.
So now tell me friends, what are some of your favourite healthy post-workout recovery snacks?
Have you tried making these Apple Pie Vegan Protein Granola Cups?
What protein-powder recipes should I try experimenting with next?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Apple Pie Vegan Protein Granola Cups
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats gluten free if needed
- ½ cup freeze dried apple crushed into small pieces, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup walnuts toasted and finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup vanilla protein powder vegan if needed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F and lightly grease 24 mini muffin tins.
- Combine the oats, apple, walnuts, hemp hearts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the protein powder, apple juice, maple syrup, coconut oil and stir over medium heat until it begins to bubble and is very smooth. Stir in the vanilla until combined.
- Pour the protein powder mixture over dry ingredients and stir until well coated.
- Place about two tablespoons into each mini muffin tin and pack it flat into the bottom of the tin. Sprinkle with a little extra hemp hearts, walnut crumbs and apple crumbs. Bake the mixture in preheated oven for 15-16 minutes until golden brown. Allow the pucks to cool completely before carefully removing them from the tin.
- Store the pucks in an airtight container for a week or pop them into freezer bags for up to 3 months!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.