This Peppermint Mocha Latte Protein Porridge aka. noats is loaded with protein, while also being oatmeal free, dairy free, gluten free, low carb and keto friendly for those following restrictive diets.
Raise your hands if you look forward to Starbucks’ holiday drinks?
Honestly, I am a sucker for anything pumpkin spice latte (hence why people are raving that my copy cat recipe is the best on the web), but I also love their winter holiday drinks too. One of my favourites is their Peppermint Mocha Latte. OMG. That combination of peppermint, coffee and chocolate is legit EVERYTHING I’m living for right now.
So why not put those comforting flavours into a big bowl of No-Oat Peppermint Mocha Latte PROTEIN Porridge? Caffeine IN breakfast?! YES PLEASE.
What are NOATS?
Noats are a fun play on the words “no oats”. Basically it’s like oatmeal without any oats! Now, I LOVE oatmeal and oats (I’ve got a ton of recipe like this bowl of creme brulee protein oatmeal), but I also love the idea of sneaking extra protein, healthy fats and veggies into my morning for satiety.
This bowl of oat free protein porridge is made up of a combination of cauliflower rice, hemp hearts and egg whites.
What Do You Need to Make No Oat Peppermint Mocha Latte Protein Porridge
Here’s the basics in this peppermint mocha latte protein porridge bowl:
- Egg whites
- Hemp hearts
- Cauliflower Rice
- Non dairy milk (or regular milk)
- Cocoa powder
- Flavourings and toppings
How do you Make high protein porridge without oats?
The idea is that you can whip egg whites until fluffy (like a meringue), and then basically whip them into your oatmeal or no oatmeal base. In this case, the base is a combination of cauliflower rice for some
Can you make this peppermint mocha latte porridge without caffeine?
can you use fresh cauliflower rice instead of frozen in this no oat protein oatmeal?
Is this protein porridge keto friendly and low carb?
Are these peppermint chocolate noats safe for someone on a gluten free diet or with celiac?
can these this protein porridge be made ahead of time?
Peppermint Mocha Latte Protein Porridge (Noats)
- 500 g 4-5 cups frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups coconut soy or almond milk
- 2 tbsp 1 oz brewed espresso
- 4 egg whites beaten until frothy
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sugar syrup or sweetener, to taste (optional)
- Crushed candy canes optional
- Dairy free mini chocolate chips optional
- Additional non dairy milk optional
- Combine the cauliflower rice, hemp hearts, cocoa, salt, milk, and espresso in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Stir until the cauliflower thaws and everything mixes together. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens, about 7-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and add in the frothy beaten egg whites, whisking continuously for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the peppermint and vanilla extract, pop the lid on the pot and let sit for 1 minute.
- Sweeten to taste, if desired.
- Serve as is or top with candy canes, chocolate chips and additional non dairy milk.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.