This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy keto friendly, gluten free, low carb, fast dinner recipe that is loaded with all of the flavours of an egg roll.
Bowls are in and for good reason. They’re an easy way to get in your protein and veggies in a totally instagrammable meal. This recipe was inspired by one of my favourite Chinese food take-out staples, the egg roll. Crunchy, meaty, and umami-rich, I cannot NOT get an egg roll when I order in, but I also get that it’s not the most nutritionally balanced option on the menu. Enter my egg roll in a bowl. This recipe is keto friendly, gluten free and crazy fast to throw together made with tons of veggies and flavourful ground pork.
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
This recipe of egg roll in a bowl combines all of the usual suspects in an egg roll but without the deep-fried wrapper. It’s basically a stir-fry without the noodles or rice so it keeps it super protein rich and fibre packed. It’s also really flavourful thanks to the ginger, garlic, and sesame oil.
I use cabbage, mushrooms, broccoli slaw and bean sprouts in my egg roll in a bowl, but you can totally switch up the veggies to use whatever you have on hand. I also like ground pork which is a bit more traditional, but you could easily swap in turkey, chicken, beef, or even soy ground meat.
This keto egg roll in a bowl will become one of your easy fast meal prep staples because it re-heats really well, so go ahead and make a double batch for the whole week.
Now I want to know, have you made my keto egg roll in a bowl?
What are some of your favourite Chinese take out staples?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium gluten free tamari
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot flour
Egg Roll Bowl:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork extra lean or full fat
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 bag broccoli slaw about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 cups shredded green/red cabbage
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp green onions sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Sriracha to taste
- Mix together the tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and cornstarch and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the pork. Cook until browned, then add in the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli slaw, cabbage, and mushrooms and stir until cooked down.
- Stir in the reserved sauce and bean sprouts and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide into four bowls and top with sesame seeds and sriracha, to taste.
Updated on July 22nd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.