These Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs make perfect healthy holiday appetizers that you and your family are going to love!
Everyone has their family traditions when it comes to holiday entertaining and for me, it’s all about the cocktail meatballs. OK, so I grew up on grape jelly crockpot meatballs (made with IKEA frozen meatballs, of course), but as soon as I was old enough to pitch in with the holiday spread, I was determined to take them on. Sorry Ma, but goodbye sugary jelly, and hello lean turkey meatball packed with festive flavours. Introducing my Healthy Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs with velvety low Sodium gravy drizzle.
How to Make Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs
These Turkey Cocktail Meatballs start with high fibre oats in place of traditional white bread crumbs to boost the nutrition. I also use extra lean ground turkey (to keep with the holiday vibe), and bulk it up with low calorie high fibre mushrooms. Cranberries add a tangy-sweet bite, while rosemary and sage round out the festive feels.
But my Healthy Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs would not be complete without something velvety and dreamy to dip, dunk or get smothered in. With so many dishes on the go during the holidays (including a massive turkey!), I can take all the short cuts I can get. Gravy is one of those many jobs that I’m happy to hand off to the experts. When taste is important (and let’s be honest, it’s the MOST important consideration during the holidays), Club House Gravy Mixes are my go to. It makes the otherwise stressful experience of entertaining so much easier, more convenient and undeniably delicious.
For my Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs, I usually like using the 25% less salt Turkey gravy, but you can also just go with their classic, or gluten free versions in their Turkey, Brown, Pork or Chicken style gravies. I’m a total sucker for the stuff in its simple, unadulterated glory, but feel free to add in any extra meat drippings or a little extra sage or rosemary to jazz it up.
What’s your favourite dip or sauce for Cocktail Meatballs? Have you tried these Healthy Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs with Easy Gravy yet? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Cranberry Turkey Cocktail Meatballs with Velvety Low Sodium Gravy
- 1 cup oats ground in the food processor
- 2 tbsp oats ground in the food processor
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- ½ cup mushrooms ground in the food processor
- ¼ cup onion finely minced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely minced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 package Club House 25% Less Salt Gravy Mix
- 1 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground oats and the almond milk and mix until the milk has been absorbed. Add in the turkey, ground mushrooms, onion, cranberries, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked to 165 F.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the water and Club House 25% Less Salt Gravy Mix over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil, then simmer for 1 minute transfer to a gravy bowl.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks and the gravy for dipping, or drizzle the meatballs with the gravy with toothpicks on the side. Enjoy!
Updated on July 22nd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.