This easy 10 minute Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with all of your go-to pantry staples & grocery store shortcuts to make dinner a total breeze!
I’m a huge soup fan as the weather cools off, and I’m an even bigger fan when making said soup is not a full day event. Mama don’t have time for that. So this week I busted out a variety of household staples to make the EASIEST 10 minute Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup you EVER put in your mouth.
How to Make Easy 10 MINUTE Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup with pantry staples and grocery store shortcuts
This Mexican Chicken Tortilla soup is more of a guide than a full on recipe since a lot of this depends on the shortcuts you use. When I’ve made it with fresh pico de gallo, I have found it needed more tomato paste to add depth. When I’ve made it with salsa, it might need a little lime. And if I make it with medium or hot salsa it needs less spices than if I make it with mild. Different brands have different flavours, too! Some are smoky, some are pretty bland so they might need a little more help. But if you start with a product you really like, you’re going to make a tasty soup.
My recommendation for making this Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is to puree 1 can of black beans, salsa/pico de gallo and broth together, then taste and adjust to balance things out. I also added some some fresh veggies I had (zucchini and bell pepper) plus some canned corn and shredded rotisserie chicken, but feel free to switch it up and add whatever fresh, canned or frozen veggies you have!
Can I make this Mexican Tortilla Soup VEGAN?
Sure!! Just omit the chicken, and add another can of beans (maybe switch it up and do kidney or chickpea for variety). You can also try adding tofu or veggie ground round to your tortilla soup base. Make it your own!
This Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is SO easy to pull off, you’re going to make this soup base a total staple in your house.
Can I Freeze this Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yep! I got a batch of this tasty stuff hanging out in the freezer right now just waiting for a rainy day when I just CAN’T. Simply transfer it to a freezer bag on a baking tray and let it freeze flat (rather than a big clump), then transfer to your freezer until you’re ready to eat it.
Now friends, tell me – what’s your go to short cut supper for crazy weeknights?
Have you tried making this Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup? What kind of salsa or pico de gallo did you use?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 x 19 oz can no salt added black beans drained and rinsed and divided
- 1 x 15.5 oz jar of salsa or pico de gallo mild, medium, or hot, depending on preference or about 2 cups homemade salsa or pico de gallo
- 4 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin or to taste (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste optional
- Juice of 1 lime or to taste (optional)
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 2 zucchini diced
- 1 x 340 g can corn
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To serve:
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- To a large pot, combine one can black beans, salsa, stock, cumin, chili, lime, and tomato paste, if using. If your using homemade salsa or pico de gallo that is more fresh and less flavourful, then I recommend adding tomato paste. How much lime and tomato paste you use will depend on the salsa you use. Puree using an immersion blender or just add everything to a stand blender and puree before adding to the pot.
- Heat over medium heat until simmering, then add in the bell peppers, zucchini, corn, chicken, and residual black beans. Adjust seasoning (depending on your salsa's flavour) by adding more lime, tomato paste, chili, cumin, and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and the soup is hot. Serve with tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream and cilantro.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.