This Pistachio Crusted Vegan French Toast with Tahini & Figs feels super decadent, but is packed with nutrition and is perfect for Mother’s Day brunch!
I think there are two types of people in this world – pancake people and french toast people. Okay, if you really want to complicate life, there are also waffle people, but we know those are not always as common of an option. I love pancakes (obviously, I’ve made like a million protein pancake recipes), but recently I’m on a french toast kick. I always have bread in the house for Baby E, and he also loves french toast, so lately I’ve been finding creative ways to sneak lots of nutrition inside.
Also, this weekend is Mother’s Day, and if ANYONE IS READING THIS, I would LOVE someone to make me this.
How to Make this Pistachio Crusted Vegan French Toast
This recipe is completely plant-based, and while I am no vegan, I like that the addition of flax boosts omega 3’s, fibre, and protein. I basically just make a quick flax egg with a little extra liquid and that serves as my “wet” dredge. And while most vegan french toast would call it a delicious day at that, I drive home the flavour train with an amazing pistachio crust. The result adds a ton of rich nutty flavour and an amazing crust to juxtapose the moist custardy centre. All without any dairy or eggs, at all.
I sometimes just keep leftovers and take them with me as a snack on the go, smear them with some nut butter or chia jam and I’m a happy camper. But if I were to make this for Mother’s Day (OR IF SOMEONE WHO LOVES ME WANTS TO MAKE THEM FOR ME), I would suggest topping them off with a little tahini, ripe sweet figs, my fig chia jam and coconut yogurt. OMG so good.
Now loves, tell me – what are you making for mother’s day brunch?
Who do I need to tell to make you this pistachio crusted vegan french toast?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Pistachio Crusted Vegan French Toast with Tahini & Figs
- To a small bowl, mix together the soy milk and flax and refrigerate for an hour to thicken. Stir in maple and vanilla and pour into a shallow dish.
- Make the chia jam by adding the figs to a saucepot over medium heat with the maple over medium heat and mash with a potato masher until jammy. Remove from the heat and add in the chia seeds. Allow to sit in the fridge for 20 minutes to thicken.
- Shell the Pistachios into a food processor or high speed blender and pulverize into a powder. Transfer to another shallow dish.
- Heat a spoonful of coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Dunk the bread into the flax mixture then into the ground pistachios. Fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- To serve, top the French toast with the fig chia jam, coconut yogurt, figs, tahini, maple syrup and crushed pistachios. Enjoy!