This German Chocolate Cake Cocktail is a lightened up liquid version of a classic decadent dessert.
Confession: I’m big on good cocktails. I’m too old to just drink for the sake of getting a buzz so if I’m going to indulge in the liquid calories, it better taste great. This German Chocolate Cake Cocktail recipe is a delicious and surprisingly light way to get your cocktail and dessert in one!
How we Lightened Up a German Chocolate Cake Cocktail
I know, it sounds crazy pants that a CAKE cocktail could be lightened up. First of all, if you’re not familiar, German Chocolate Cake is pretty much one of the most indulgent desserts of all time. It’s basically layers of rich chocolate cake held together by a decadent coconut and pecan frosting and IT-IS-AWESOME.
What isn’t awesome is the sugar coma that inevitably follows after a healthy slice of this stuff. Thankfully, this German Chocolate Cake Cocktail is a delicious way to get your fix without the sugar shakes. It starts with Green & Blacks Organic 70% Dark chocolate melted into low-calorie unsweetened almond-coconut milk. I use Green & Blacks Organic chocolate in everything from chili, to a steak reduction, to one of my all time favourite desserts- banana chocolate peanut butter cups. It’s super high quality and beautifully balanced, and perfect for baking or sweet snacking.
Once the chocolate has melted into the milk, I throw in an ounce of coconut flavoured rum per drink. I like to keep my drinks lower on the alcohol, which helps me cut calories (and limit any potential embarrassing situations), but feel free to be a little more liberal on the booze if you want.
Then, it’s the fun part! I use that same rich and delicious Green & Blacks Organic 70% Dark chocolate to rim my glass and coat it in crushed pecans and toasted coconut. The result? A tasty German Chocolate Cake Cocktail so good, you’ll forget about needing dessert.
What are your favourite cool-weather cocktails you would like to see me lighten up? Are you a German Chocolate Cake lover like I am? What are some other fun desserts that would make AMAZING drinks? Leave me a comment below with your comments!
German Chocolate Cake Cocktail
- 4 Cups Unsweetened Coconut Almond Milk Blend
- 80 Grams Green & Blacks Organic 70% Dark Chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coconut Sugar or to taste
- 4 Oz. Coconut Rum
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Finely Shredded Coconut Toasted
- 1/4 Cup Pecans Toasted and very finely minced
- 30 Grams Green & Blacks Organic 70% Dark Chocolate Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Green & Blacks Organic 70% Dark Chocolate Finely Grated
- Place the coconut almond milk in a medium saucepot over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Add the Green & Blacks 70% Dark Chocolate and coconut sugar and stir until melted and well combined. Allow to cool until at room temperature.
- To make one drink, place 1 cup of the chocolate milk in a shaker with a few ice cubes and 1 oz of coconut rum and shake until combined and chilled.
- Meanwhile, combine the pecans and coconut in a flat dish.
- Place the 30 grams of Green & Blacks 70% Dark Chocolate in a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Spread out onto a small plate. Dip the rim in the chocolate, then dip into the coconut nut mixture.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass, top with a pinch of chocolate and finely grated Green & Blacks 70% Dark Chocolate.
Disclaimer: This post was made in paid partnership with Green & Blacks Organic Chocolate, however, all opinions are genuine.