This vegan curried sweet potato soup with apples and cider is a delicious light appetizer or lunch for cool weather packed with fibre and antioxidants.
If you were to ask me what my favourite kind of dish was to make (other than maybe ice cream), I probably would settle on soup. The possibilities are endless with soup and it’s often as easy as dump, stir and (when you want it to be extra delicious) puree. This vegan curried sweet potato cider soup has become my go-to comfort food for those cool fall and winter nights.
How to Make Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider
When I was a kid, apple picking was an annual Autumn tradition. We would pile into the car and drive to the countryside and spend the afternoon gorging ourselves on fresh crisp sweet apples. Today, I still try to make it to the orchard because apples keep so well you can buy a ton of them and they won’t go bad. And when snacks and salads get old, try throwing your apples into Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider.
Apples meet sweet potatoes, you’re undetested soul mate in this edible kingdom. This Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider combines the sweetness of sweet potatoes and apple cider with the spiciness of curry powder and the light aromatic creaminess of coconut milk.
You all know I’m no vegan, but this super well balanced soup is so delicious it doesn’t need meat or dairy.
What it does need is to be SUPER smooth. A wise chef friend once told me that when you want to impress a dinner guest, even if that’s just yourself, you should ALWAYS puree the soup. I could not agree more. An expertly pureed soup turns a delicious soup into a restaurant worthy soup – the kind of soup that’s easy enough for a weeknight but beautiful enough for a holiday feast.
I use the Philips Hand Blender for this recipe because it has a super powerful 300 W motor for amazing blending results in seconds. It’s also super easy to use with its anti-splash blade guard and SpeedTouch technology that intuitively sets the right speed for the job. In other words, when you’re trying to snapchat, and check on the bread under the broiler, you don’t have to fuss with the settings. And the best part? It’s dishwasher safe, which means this Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider is even faster to clean than it is to put together.
Have you tried making this Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider?
What is your favourite soup recipe?
Do you prefer chunky or pureed soup?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Cider | Dairy Free & Gluten Free!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups sweet apples peeled and diced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds toasted
- 1/2 cup baked apple chips
- 1/4 cup coconut milk for swirling
- Pinch of curry for garnish
- Preheat a large pot over medium high heat and add in the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until transluscent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and curry powder and stir until the onion is coated in the spices.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and sauté until they are coated in the mixture, then add in the apples, cider, vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Cover and simmer on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes and apples are very soft.
- Using the Phillips hand blender, puree until the mixture is completely smooth then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To garnish, top with the pumpkin seeds, apple chips, a swirl of coconut milk and a pinch of curry powder. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.