This Frozen Vegan Peanut Butter Pie is a great No Bake, No Sugar Added, Gluten Free, Healthy Nice Cream Dessert that is perfect for Summer when it’s too hot to cook or bake dessert!
Remember DQ ice cream cakes? I was recently at my in laws celebrating Father’s Day and we had a DQ ice cream cake and OMG it was so good. I guess I forgot how yummy that smooth light ice cream with the fudgy layer is, and also just how nice it is to eat cake that’s cold in the summer. So naturally, I got inspired and this frozen vegan peanut butter pie was born!
How to Make Frozen Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
I don’t mind baking, but in the summer, I often can’t bring myself to turn on the oven to make a simple supper, nevermind to bake a whole pie. This frozen vegan peanut butter pie is legit the most delicious refreshing treat ever. PLUS it’s actually pretty light since I make my ice cream out of frozen bananas (aka. nice cream) blended with powdered peanut butter which is WAY lower in calories and fat compared with regular peanut butter. I also make a no bake crust out of nuts, dates and unsweetened cocoa powder and a fudge from dark chocolate and dates. That means this frozen vegan peanut butter pie has no sugar added, is gluten free and is reduced in calories and fat. YAAAAAAS.
I also love that because it’s frozen, and not a baked good that can easily get stale, you can pace yourself on the portion size more easily. I find that I’m often encouraged to eat more of a cake or pie faster simply because I don’t want it to go bad (especially when I worked hard to make it!) But this frozen vegan peanut butter pie stays “fresh” in the freezer for up to 3 months so you can enjoy a small mindful portion every night without worrying about it spoiling.
That said, I ate this whole pie to myself in about a week. I mean, I have no qualms about that. It was just nuts and bananas really (okay and some chocolate) so I say totally fair game. I make a lot of great recipes but I do think this frozen vegan peanut butter pie is going to go down in my history books as one of my greatest inventions. I think if you try it, you’ll agree!
So loves, tell me – WHO remembers the DQ ice cream cake?
Have you tried making this frozen vegan peanut butter pie? HOW GOOD IT IT, RIGHT?!
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Frozen Vegan Peanut Butter Pie
- 1 1/2 cups medjool dates pitted and diced
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted peanuts
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup powdered peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup dates pitted and diced
- 50 g. vegan dark chocolate chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut cream
- 5 cups frozen diced banana
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered peanut butter or more, if you prefer a stronger PB taste
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- Coconut whipped cream
- Peanuts crushed
- Melted vegan dark chocolate
- To make the crust, pulse the dates, peanuts, cocoa powder, powdered peanut butter, and coconut oil until fairly smooth. Pack into the bottom of a pie plate and freeze.
- To make the fudge, puree together the dates, melted dark chocolate and coconut cream until very smooth. Set aside.
- To making the filling, puree the frozen bananas, powdered peanut butter and coconut cream until smooth.
- To assemble, remove the pie crust from the freezer, Divide half of the banana on the crust, and top with the fudge. Top with the remaining banana and smooth it out. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- To serve, top with the coconut cream, crushed peanuts and a drizzle of dark chocolate. Enjoy!
Updated on July 9th, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.
I can’t wait to try this! Is the coconut cream in this recipe from canned coconut milk left in the fridge ??
Sofia Tsalamlal says
The filling contains the coconut cream from the can and then the topping for the pie is coconut whip cream from a cannister.
Emily @Sinful Nutrition says
Girl, you are talking my language. I love all things peanut butter related!
Abbey Sharp says
Right! So delicious
Oh Abbey, this looks amazing. Love the ingredients and that it’s frozen!
Abbey Sharp says
Deborah Brooks says
You cannot beat the chocolate and peanut butter combination! Perfect for summer
Abbey Sharp says
Such a tasty combination!