This vegan olive oil chocolate mousse with macerated berries is the perfect healthy dessert to celebrate the Summer’s best fruit.
Gah. How is it half way through July?! Where did these warm months go? Oh yah, we’ve had a super crappy Summer and have barely had one. Regardless, as of today, I’m determined to slow this summer down and soak up every moment. That means we need to enjoy berries while they’re local and in season. Not that water-logged crap they bring up from Mexico (sorry Mexico, love your beaches, but your shipped produce sucks).
While I am usually totally A-OK with a big beautiful bowl of berries for dessert, I had a few bricks of chocolate in my pantry SCREAMING my name. Hello chocolate, meet summer berries, you’re going to get along just fine in my Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse with Macerated Berries.
How to Make Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse with Macerated Berries
So this recipe was inspired by a dessert I had at this year’s Taste of Toronto festivities. They were selling a beautiful chocolate mousse surrounded by ripe berries and green olive oil, and I got an idea to make mine vegan. It starts with the super simple combination of melted chocolate and whipped coconut cream (which is easiest to scoop from a can when it’s been sitting in the fridge). I then whisk in some olive oil until it emulsifies theVegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse and adds a delicate grassy flavour to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate and berries. The key here is to use really really good quality extra virgin olive oil. Like, the stuff you would only garnish a really fancy salad with to serve friends. We’ve written about spotting fake olive oil before here so I definitely suggest investing in a good quality bottle (and yes, price is usually a solid indicator of quality).
Now, the Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse is definitely delicious in its own right. I have been known to pipe the stuff right into my mouth, but I promised you Summer berries, so you’ve got to add this step. It’s as simple as mixing together sliced strawberries and raspberries with a touch of honey to draw out some of the juices, and tossing them with fresh basil and mint. It’s the perfect sweet juxtaposition against the beautiful Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse that’s going to make you savour every last day of Summer.
Now, I want to know, what is your favourite way to use summer fruit?
Have you tried making my Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse with macerated berries?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse with Macerated Berries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade
- 2 tbsp mint chiffonade
- Additional extra virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof, stainless steel, or glass mixing bowl, and place it on top of a small saucepot filled an inch-high with water. Bring the water to a simmer, and allow the chocolate to gently melt while stirring often. Just make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom on the bowl or get any hotter than a gentle bubble. Optional microwave method: Place the chocolate in a microwave safe dish. Melt in the microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments until almost fully melted (you may see just a few small bits in the dark pool of chocolatey goodness). Allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the coconut cream to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Once it has melted to room temperature (and isn’t hard from the fridge), beat until fluffy and light. Beat in the extra virgin olive oil then fold in the chocolate. Add a pinch of fleur de sel.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together the berries, maple syrup and herbs. Allow them to mascerate for about an hour.
- When ready to serve, place a bit of the berries onto the bottom of four bowls, top with the mousse, and a bit more berries. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and top with a pinch of fleur de sel. Enjoy.
Updated on November 22nd, 2019
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.