These Peach BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos is an easy, healthy gluten free summer dinner recipe that will help get you OUT of the hot kitchen!
When I think of summer, I think BBQ and I think seasonal produce like peaches, so it was only a matter of time that put these two delicious warm-weather staples together into these awesome slow cooker chicken tacos. This sauce is delicately sweet and mildly spicy without being overly sauced, gloopy or sugary.
How to Make Peach BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
I LOVE the idea of using the slow cooker in the summer because it’s a great way to avoid heating up the whole kitchen with the stove or oven.
This recipe simply calls for chicken breasts (but thighs would also work really well), and a combination of low sugar BBQ sauce, some diced peeled peaches and minced up chipotle in adobo sauce. It legit takes five simple steps to whip this up.
Brown your chicken.
Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker.
Let it cook.
Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
Assemble your tacos.
Okay, so that’s 6 steps if you count the most important one (the eating step). But the best part is that you can do this in like 15 minutes, walk away and have an amazing meal ready at 6 PM when everyone is losing their shit.
Can You Make these Peach BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Without a Crockpot?
Yep! The pulled chicken and peach BBQ sauce could easily be done in a dutch oven and baked in the oven until tender and cooked through. I recommend setting the oven to 325 F and baking for about 90 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
Can you Make Peach BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Sandwiches Instead of Tacos?
Yep! Super easy to throw slow cooker pulled chicken and peach BBQ sauce onto a fluffy brioche and forgo the tacos. Just keep in mind that if you want to keep it gluten free, you’ll have to choose a gluten free bun.
So tell me, do you use your slow cooker in the summer?
Have you tried making these Peach BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos?
Leave me a comment below!
If you liked this post, you may like:
Pulled Chicken Peach Tacos
Pulled Peach Chicken:
- Corn tortillas toasted
- Shredded red cabbage
- 1 peach diced
- 1 roma tomato seeded and dicedd
- 1 avocado diced
- Feta crumbled
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the slow cooker on high.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Pan fry the chicken and onions just until the chicken is golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- Put the peaches into the slow cooker and add the chicken, onions, BBQ, apple cider vinegar and chipotle. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook the sauce on high. Remove the chicken and pull it into shreds. Return to the slow cooker to toss with the sauce. Adjust with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pile the chicken into the taco shells and top with cabbage, peaches, tomatoes, avocado, feta, lime and cilantro, to taste.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.