These easy vegetarian gluten free buffalo cauliflower steaks are the perfect dish for a healthy meatless dinner option.
I’m not the type of gal to pass up a nice steak dinner, but with the weather finally getting warmer, I’ve been craving lighter options for dinner without compromising flavour. Well ever since I discovered cauliflower steaks, my calls have been answered. Not only does a recipe like my vegetarian gluten free buffalo cauliflower steaks perfectly imitate the meatiness of a steak, but it’s so simple to slather on your fav sauces to easily switch up whatever you’re into any night of the week.
But let’s talk about sauces for sec. Specifically buffalo sauce.
I mean, I’d put this stuff sauce on everything if it was socially acceptable and I’m pretty sure my babe is going to love it too because it’s basically a staple in my diet. If you’re also a fan of buffalo sauce, you NEED to check out my Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower and Chickpea Hard Tacos. They’re amazingly tasty and also vegan for all my lovely plant-based friends.
Let’s get cooking.
How to Make Gluten Free Buffalo Cauliflower Steaks
Now the best way to showcase these cauliflower steaks is to cook them on a grill. That way you get the perfect grill marks and really the best flavour. So be sure to get that preheated, while you make the buffalo seasoning. The goal with cauliflower steaks is to keep the cauliflower stem intact, so you can cut thick “steak” pieces instead of a bunch of florets. Next I sprinkle the buffalo seasoning on the gluten free buffalo cauliflower “steaks” and then cook them on a grill until cooked. I transfer the steaks to a baking sheet and slather on the hot sauce glaze and return to the grill for a few minutes. Then I garnish the steaks with blue cheese, ranch and chives.
You can totally make these vegetarian gluten free buffalo cauliflower steaks completely vegan simply by swapping out the honey for maple or agave, omitting the blue cheese and drizzling it all in a vegan ranch dressing, instead. You do you, either way, it will be tasty AF.
How easy was that, lovelies? And it’s surprisingly low in calories, gluten free and a super healthy way to get in your veggies!
Now I want to hear from you.
Have you tried these gluten free buffalo cauliflower steaks?
Are you a buffalo sauce fan?
What’s the weirdest thing you’ve put buffalo sauce on?
Let me know by commenting below!
Vegetarian Gluten Free Buffalo Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper omit if you don’t want it too spicy
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion salt
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Ranch dressing optional
- 2 tbsp chives minced
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili, paprika, cayenne, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and onion salt. Set aside.
- Remove the leaves from the bottom of the cauliflower. Cut each head in half right down the middle, then cut a thick 1 ¼” slice on one side of the cauliflower half, and then another thick 1 ¼” slice on the other side of the cauliflower half. Be careful to keep the stem intact so that you can get a thick “steak” rather than a bunch of florets.
- Preheat a grill to medium high on one side, and brush the cauliflower steaks with olive oil. Sprinkle with the buffalo seasoning on all sides. Grill on direct heat (over the flames), lid closed, on each side for about 6 to 9 minutes, or until tender-crisp when poked with a fork and lightly charred. If you find your cauliflower is charring faster than it is cooking through, transfer to the indirect heat, and cover with the lid to finish cooking through. Once tender-crisp, transfer to a baking sheet and glaze generously on both sides with the glaze.
- Return to the grill over direct heat for one minute per side, or until the glaze just
- To serve, top with cauliflower with the crumbled blue cheese, ranch (if using) and chives.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.