These chilli orange chocolate covered almonds with hemp hearts are a decadent way to spice up your Valentine’s Day!
Confession: I am one of those saps who loves Valentine’s Day. Sure, it’s a cheesy holiday filled with token gifts and overpriced restaurant dinners, but I just honestly feel like there’s something uniquely special about Valentine’s Day.
Oh yeah, I know what it is- it’s the fact that I have all of the reasons in the world to eat chocolate all day, errr day. So let’s kick things off with these Chilli Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds.
How to Make Chilli Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds with Hemp Hearts
If I were to let my man loose in the grocery store he would come back with ONLY two things- orange juice and chocolate covered almonds. You now see why I do the grocery shopping in the house.
Alas, I know what my hubby loves and for that I plan to kick off our Valentine’s Day meal with these Chilli Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds. We hear all the time that both chocolate and chilli are so-called “aphrodisiacs”, and while the research in this area is harry, the reality is that they likely put us in the mood because they put us in a “good” mood. So with that in mind, I thought combining these two feel good foods in starter would be a perfect way to set a romantic tone.
Making these Chilli Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds is super simple so you need to start with the best quality ingredients. I love using Green and Black’s chocolate because it’s made with all natural fair trade ingredients that are super high quality so they’re perfect for both baking and snacking. Ask my husband- he would be happy to just eat the bar as is.
I like using the Maya Gold variety in this recipe because it has a delicate orange flavour that pairs really well with the chili powder, but Green & Black’s 70% Dark chocolate would work well too.
I also give my nuts an extra nutritious edge with a sprinkle of hemp hearts on top, boosting the fibre, protein and healthy omega 3 fats.
So yes, this Valentine’s Day, my man got his chocolate covered almonds and his orange flavour (so let’s not tell him that my Chili Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds with Hemp Hearts are actually good for him, mmkay?)
Now I want to know:
What appetizers and snacks are you preparing for your Valentine’s Day meal?
What’s your favourite sexy recipes with chocolate?
Have you tried these Chili Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds?
Leave me a comment below!
Chilli Orange Chocolate Covered Almonds with Hemp Hearts
- 100 grams Green & Black’s Maya Gold Dark Chocolate finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups raw almonds
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fleur de sel
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- Prepare a large baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Fill a medium pot an inch high with water. Place the pot on the burner over medium heat and bring the water to a gentle simmer. Place the Green & Blacks chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl and set over a pot. Let the chocolate melt, stirring often until smooth and melted.
- Add the almonds and toss until fully coated and spread out onto the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, fleur de sel and hemp hearts. Allow the chocolate to cool and set completely or transfer to the fridge to quicken the process. Separate the nuts and serve on a cheese board or in a bowl for easy snacking.
Disclaimer: This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Green & Blacks Organic chocolate, however, all opinions are genuine.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.