This Spaghetti Squash Chicken Pot Pie is a tasty and easy low carb dairy free gluten free family friendly dinner that tastes like the classic meat pie everyone loves.
I grew up eating a lot of chicken pot pie. I mean, it wasn’t made from scratch. My mom used a rotisserie chicken and a can of soup with frozen veggies and stuffed it into a frozen puff pastry shell, but MAN it was good. Well this week I was craving a taste of nostalgia, so I wanted to reinvent the classic chicken pot pie but lighten it up, and pile it onto a nutrient rich veggie- spaghetti squash! Update – it was SO. GOOD.
How to make Spaghetti Squash Chicken Pot Pie Gluten Free
The key is get rid of the pastry shell and add in my beloved spaghetti squash as the vehicle to that iconic chicken pot pie filling. To lighten up the chicken pot pie filling, I skip the gloopy high sodium soup mix and make a roux with gluten free flour and cashew milk. I prefer cashew milk because I find it’s creamier than almond but almond or soy also works to keep this dairy free I then added in lots of fresh veggies, but you can also use a bag of frozen!
Finally, I cooked the spaghetti squash until tender, then pulled it into strings. I like to serve the chicken pot pie filling right inside the spaghetti squash but you can also put the squash into a serving dish topped off with the chicken pot pie filling. Your call!
Can I Make this chicken Pot Pie with Dairy or Gluten?
Of course! You can simply use regular milk in place of the cashew milk, and regular flour in place of gluten free flour in the roux.
Can I microwave the spaghetti squash?
Yep! Just place cut side down on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for about 7-10 minutes, checking every few minutes until it’s tender enough to pull.
Could I make this Chicken Pot Pie vegan?
I had a few people ask me if they could make the filling vegan! It wouldn’t exactly be chicken pot pie, but you could use jackfruit or any fake chicken meat. I would just throw it in at the last minute while you’re finishing the sauce to warm through.
Now friends tell me- did you grow up eating chicken pot pie?
How did your mom make it?
Have you tried this gluten free, dairy free, lower carb version?
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Spaghetti squash halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 ½ cup carrots finely diced
- ½ cup sliced celery finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 227 g package cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 2 ¼ cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 2 rotisserie chicken breasts shredded
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Thyme leaves for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle the insides of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet and poke a few holes in the top. Roast for 30-45 minutes or until its fork tender. Remove and allow to slightly cool, then shred the insides with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, paprika, and oregano and cook until the vegetables soften, about 7 minutes. Add in the flour and stir until it coats the vegetables. Add the cashew milk and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the chicken, peas and then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve on top of the pulled spaghetti squash and garnish with thyme leaves.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.