These decadent strawberry cheesecake stuffed layered protein pancakes are totally gluten free, low in fat and packed with high quality fermented dairy protein.
I’m a sweet brunch kinda girl. If you take me for brunch, my eyes will simply be drawn to the pancakes, waffles, crepes, donuts and parfaits. I eat eggs every day for protein at home so brunch is like an excuse to have dessert at 10 AM.
But since I started training hard to get summer ready, I have been on the protein kick. That was the inspiration for these amazing gluten free protein pancakes.
What started as pure desperation to find new non-savoury sources of protein became an obsession with making protein pancakes. The key, of course, is to start with a good quality protein, and it’s generally well accepted that dairy protein (like whey) is king. Animal-based protein like whey is better absorbed than vegan sources, but they are sometimes not well tolerated by some.
So when I heard that Genuine Health was launching a fermented Greek yogurt proteins+ protein powder, I suddenly had a whole new reason to whip up these protein pancakes. I’ve written about fermented foods and their gut-protective benefits here before, put simply, the probiotics that are formed from the fermentation process can essentially counteract the digestion issues some people experience with whey.
Protein Pancakes Meet Dessert
When I was deciding what flavours I wanted to come up with in my protein pancakes, my mind automatically went to cheesecake. I’m kind of a cheesecake fiend. I recently made another amazing cheesecake inspired breakfast, so if you’re also a fan, you’ve got to check that out too.
What are your favourite healthy yet decadent breakfasts? Have you ever tried making protein pancakes? Leave me a comment below with some of your go-tos!
These decadent strawberry cheesecake-stuffed layered protein pancakes are totally gluten free, low in fat and packed with high-quality whey protein.
Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Pancakes | Gluten Free & Low Fat!
- 1 1/2 cups Plain 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- Honey if desired, to taste
- Add the oats to a food processor or blender and pulse until they turn into a powder. Mix the cinnamon and protein powder together in the food processor.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining pancake ingredients. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet and allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and grease with nonstick cooking spray, oil or butter. Pour the 1/4 cup circles of batter into the pan. Once you see bubbles form around the edges, flip and continue to cook until golden brown on both sides. Keep pancakes warm on a plate tented with foil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree the cream cheese, yogurt, lemon zest and honey together. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the frozen strawberries with the water and any additional honey, if desired. Cook until bubbly, saucy and warmed through.
- To assemble, dollop a few spoonfuls of cheesecake filling between the protein pancakes and garnish with the strawberry sauce.
Updated on June 22nd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.