These Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes are the ultimate hangover cure for your St. Patrick’s Day brunch!
I don’t know about your town, but here in Toronto, St. Patrick’s Day celebrations start EARLY – like people are lining up outside the pub by 10 AM. Since this year I’m not imbibing, I have a little extra time to get a good hearty breakfast in and this year is all about these gluten free vegan matcha rainbow pancakes.
How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes
I’m a pancake queen. I’ve made it my mission to create one delicious pancake recipe for every major holiday (like my recent Red Velvet Valentine’s Day pancakes) and this one has quickly become one of our FAVES. I mean, everything with rainbow sprinkles is the BOMB DOT COM, and if you can find a way to make some amazing pancakes Vegan and Gluten Free AND packed with some hearty fibre, I am one happy dietitian.
These Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes are super easy to pull off. It starts with a Flax egg, which is literally just ground flax and almond milk. Easy peasy. Next comes some ground up gluten free oat flour, and some vegan protein powder so that you can feel extra confident about loading up on rainbow sprinkles. I also like to sweeten my pancakes naturally with super ripe bananas to leave some extra wiggle room for maple syrup on top 😉
These Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes are an obvious choice for green beer pre-drinking fuel, but also for helping you cure that St. Patrick’s Day hangover – a MUCH better option compared to a greasy night out.
Now tell me, what are some of your favourite St. Patrick’s Day breakfast or brunch recipes?
Have you tried these Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Gluten Free Vegan Matcha Rainbow Protein Pancakes
- 2 tbsp flax
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups gluten free oats pureed into a flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain coconut or almond yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 prepared flax eggs
- 1 medium ripe banana mashed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp matcha powder or to taste
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Plain coconut or almond yogurt
- Maple syrup if desired
- To a small bowl, mix together the flax and almond milk and set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- To a large bowl, mix together the oat flour, cinnamon, protein powder, baking soda and salt. Add the vanilla, yogurt, almond milk, banana, flax eggs, maple and oil. Add the matcha powder to your desired taste and colour.
- Preheat large nonstick skillet with the coconut oil over medium heat. Add about 1/4 cup batter and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Layer with yogurt, berries, sprinkles and maple syrup, if desired. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.