I share my favourite recipe for Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup that is perfect for holiday entertaining or a healthy weeknight meal.
I’m a bit of a soup-a-holic, so I’ve gotten into the habit of making one big batch of soup every Sunday so that I have something to get me through the week. This week it was this Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup and OMG, it was a damn good week. There’s something inherently comforting about a dreamy creamy soup, and this one has the added goodness of caramelized roasted veg and high protein chickpeas.
How to Make Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup
Roasting vegetables is literally my favourite winter past time. It adds a lot of flavour and texture and make the whole house smell divine. And let’s be real, non-roasted cauliflower smells like farts so the roasted version in my Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup is a welcome change. I also love roasted chickpeas as a crispy snack alternative to chips – if you haven’t made them you need to STAT. These not only add body and flavour to my soup, but also make for a beautiful and crispy little topping that everyone always loves.
So once you’ve roasted your veg, you add it to some broth with some spices, parsnips (my favourite nutty little veg) and some gorgeous aromatic thyme and let it simmer until everyone is soft. Then I just use a little immersion blender with some coconut milk to get the job done quickly and in one pot, but you can also easily transfer your Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup to a blender and call it a day.
The key is that you want your soup to be SOUP-ER smooth (see what I did there, folks), so that the contrast with the crispy caramelized cauliflower and chickpeas really stands out.
This Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup is elegant enough for holiday entertaining, but simple enough for a weeknight meal. I promise you’re going to love it.
Now let me know what are some of your favourite soups?
What should I make next week to get me through this cold winter week?
Leave me a comment below with some of your favourites!
Vegan Roasted Cauliflower, Parsnip and Chickpea Soup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 head cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1 can chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried really well
- 1/2 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 parsnips peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp herbs de provence
- 5 sprigs thyme leaves only
- 1 L vegetable broth
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place the cauliflower on one baking sheet with a tablespoon of oil. Place the chickpeas on another baking sheet with a tablespoon of oil. Roast both until super crispy and caramelized, about 30 minutes for the cauliflower and 40-45 minutes for the chickpeas. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside about 1/2 cup of each for garnish.
- Meanwhile, add the last tablespoon of oil to a large pot along with the onion. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add the parsnips, cumin, herbs de province, thyme leaves and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and put the lid on the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes, then add in the cauliflower and chickpeas (minus the 1/2 cup each). Cook for another 5 minutes until everything is very soft.
- Using a hand blender, puree until smooth. Add the coconut milk and puree again to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, add a swirl of coconut milk and olive oil. Top with the cauliflower and chickpeas and some fresh thyme leaves. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.