This avocado pasta is high in iron and omega-3 and is the perfect baby led weaning recipe for your baby and and toddler.
Baby E LOVES avocados. He would be perfectly content with having avocado at every meal, so because of that, I’ve developed a ton of recipes with avocados, like my Baby Spinach and Avocado Green Pancakes. This week I tried out combining two of his faves with my avocado pasta, and he absolutely loved it. Not only did he love playing with the gooey consistency, but he was totally obsessing over the bright green colour. Here’s how I sneak in some iron and omega-3 in this avocado pasta.
iron and omega-3 in this avocado pasta
We all know how important iron and omega-3 is for a growing baby and toddler, so I’ve packed this avocado pasta with a ton of rich sources of omega-3 from walnuts to hemp hearts and iron sources like boiled egg yolks. All of these foods provide a creamy texture to this pasta making it easily palatable for your little one.
how to make baby led weaning avocado pasta
To make this avocado pasta, start by pureeing the hemp hearts, walnuts, basil and garlic in a food processor. Next add the avocados, lemon and egg yolks. Drizzle in some olive oil until it resembles a sauce. Finally, add the avocado sauce to cooked whole wheat pasta with some cherry tomatoes.
Become an Abbey’s Kitchen Subscriber
Now tell me, what are your favourite iron and omega-3 foods to feed your baby?
Will you make this baby led weaning avocado pasta?
Let me know in the comments below.
If you liked this post, you may like:
High Iron Omega-3 Avocado Pasta
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 hard boiled egg yolks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or more to your desired texture
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb cooked whole wheat pasta for serving
- Cherry tomatoes quartered for serving
- Basil chiffonade
- To a food processor, puree the hemp hearts, walnuts, basil, and garlic until the walnuts are finely ground. Then add the avocado, lemon, eggs and pulse until combined, then add in the olive oil just until it is thin enough for a sauce. Season with a tiny bit of salt and pepper, if desired (can omit for young babies).
- Toss with cooked pasta and serve as is or with cherry tomatoes, and basil on top.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.