This healthy gluten free focaccia bread is a recipe with no flour and is yeast free, yielding a gluten free, keto-friendly (optional) bread with omega-3s!
I asked my followers on Instagram what they would like if I were to come up with a bread recipe. Some of the most common requests were healthy, gluten free, yeast free, and flour free. I get it. The two ingredients have become some super hot commodities and even I can’t make bread with yeast! I did, however, have a TON of ground flax in my house so I decided to MacGyver a way to turn it into a loaf of healthy, nutrient rich bread. I saw a recipe for flax bread which I used as my inspiration and guide, and then added my own spin to flavours to make this delicious gluten free focaccia.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
I was totally skeptical that anything made pretty much exclusively with flax would taste good, but the results were truly shocking. I also love this recipe because it’s
- The perfect, springy texture
- A salty and satisfying flavour
- Toddler and kid friendly
- Totally gluten free and can be made keto-friendly for those with dietary restrictions!
Ground flaxmeal- I love flax because it’s rich in omega-3s, fibre and protein. It’s a staple in my house, especially for making baked goods more nutritious for my son. Always store your flax in the fridge once you’ve opened the package more maximum freshness!
Olive Oil- Focaccia is not focaccia without a generous amount of olive oil! I definitely recommend a nice extra virgin olive oil for this.
Eggs- The eggs do help keep this gluten free focaccia springy and not too dense as you might experience if you tried to make this strictly vegan.
Fleur de sel- Any fancy finishing salt will work here, but I am obsessed with good fleur de sel.
Maple or any other sweetener – Keto friends, you can use a non-calorie sweetener here, it is just to add a little flavour.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: In a small saucepot, heat the olive oil and the two sprigs of rosemary until simmering over low heat for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the rosemary sprigs and set aside to cool.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix together the flax, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add in the beaten eggs, water, maple or other sweetener, and 1/3 cup of the rosemary olive oil. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
Step 3: Transfer to the baking sheet and spread out about an inch in thickness, making sure to leave at least an inch from the edge of the pan.
Step 4: Top with the grapes (cut side down), olives (cut side down) and rosemary pieces. Carefully brush the top of the dough with about a tablespoon of the rosemary olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
Step 5: Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the dough feels springy and dry on top. Allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes before cutting into slices.
Again, I was totally skeptical but I need you to know that this recipe is embarrassingly easy. It is important that you let the dough sit by itself for at least 20 minutes to allow the flax to “bloom” with the liquid so it’s thick and fuffy.
Also, don’t skimp on the olive oil. It’s what adds flavour and moisture to this gluten free focaccia .
Yes! Flax is completely gluten free so you can absolutely enjoy this if you avoid gluten.
The base of this bread – flax, olive oil and eggs- are all keto-friendly. This bread can be made keto friendly by using a non calorie sweetener in place of the maple syrup, and you can also omit the grapes if you want (though these probably add a negligible amount of carbs). See below for other topping ideas.
You can totally make this simply with just salt, or try some other toppings:
– Sliced cherry tomatoes + mozzarella + basil
– Roasted garlic + tomatoes
– Peaches + thyme
– Cooked sausage + Honey + Olives
– Prosciutto + mozzarella
– Artichoke hearts + gruyere
– Caramelized onions + mushrooms
– Nuts + Chocolate + Mascarpone
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for other delicious keto friendly recipes like this gluten free focaccia? Check out some of these below!
- ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLL UPS (LOW CARB & KETO FRIENDLY)
- KETO ZUCCHINI BOATS WITH PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STUFFING
- EGG ROLL IN A BOWL (KETO FRIENDLY)
- KETO GRILLED AVOCADO BRUSCHETTA | LOW CARB AND GLUTEN FREE SUMMER BBQ RECIPE
What baked goods are you whipping up without flour or yeast? Leave me a comment below with your ideas!
Gluten Free Focaccia with Flax (Keto, No Flour, Yeast Free Bread)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 cups finely ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or low calorie brown sugar for keto/low carb)
- 1/2 tsp fleur de sel
- 1 sprig rosemary (minced)
- 1 cup red grapes (halved) (optional for keto)
- 1 cup kalamata olives (pitted and halved)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a small saucepot, heat the olive oil and the two sprigs of rosemary until simmering over low heat for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the rosemary sprigs and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flax, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add in the beaten eggs, water, maple or other sweetener, and 1/3 cup of the rosemary olive oil. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and spread out about an inch in thickness, making sure to leave at least an inch from the edge of the pan.
- Top with the grapes (cut side down), olives (cut side down) and rosemary pieces. Carefully brush the top of the dough with about a tablespoon of the rosemary olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the dough feels springy and dry on top. Allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes before cutting into slices.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.