These Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies with Strawberry Protein Cream Filling are the better-for-you version of everyones beloved childhood treat!
Okay, raise your hand if your parents had no qualms about putting a daily pack of Twinkies in your lunch? I feel like parents today are so anxious about food and nutrition they wouldn’t DREAM of sending any of that “toxic” “garbage” to school with their kids, but HEY, we all turned out pretty okay. Any treat in moderation is A-OK, but why not make them at home so you can control the quality of the ingredients AND add sprinkles?! Sprinkles make EVERYTHING better. Hello, my beloved Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies with Strawberry Protein Cream Filling. I definitely don’t have to be a kid to want to inhale you.
How to Make Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies with Strawberry Protein Cream Filling
So this recipe is surprisingly easy but it does require you to have a Twinkies silicon pan. I ordered mine on Amazon for legit like $10 but if you don’t have one, you can easily use a mini muffin tin. No biggie.
The batter is completely gluten free so I use coconut flour as my base. While it can be a bit tempermental, and requires more eggs and moisture to make it work, I like it because it’s really rich in satiating fibre. To lighten mine up without too much sugar or fat, I add unsweetened apple sauce and protein-rich Greek yogurt. I also whip up a few egg whites to make my Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies super fluffy and light! Oh and we can’t forget our RAINBOW factor!! You have two options. You can fold them in if you like a streaky rainbow look, or you can sprinkle the bottom of the twinkies pan with sprinkles before you add your batter so you get a big rainbow patch at the top. Either way, it’s colourful and fun and that’s what we all love about these Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies.
Next, let’s talk filling. Because a twinkie without a cream filling is just a muffin. To make mine a little healthier, I mix strawberry light cream cheese with more protein-packed Greek yogurt and then carefully poke my piping bag into the bottom of the Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies to add little pockets of goodness. OMG you’re going to die when you bite in.
So, mommas, tell me- would you put THESE Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies in your kids lunches without a worry?
Did you grow up eating twinkies?
Leave me a comment below about your twinkie memories!!
Gluten Free Rainbow Twinkies
- 1/2 cup plain 2-4% Greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp light strawberry cream cheese
- 2 tsp rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spritz two twinkie silicon pans with cooking spray. Set them on top of baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the honey, apple sauce, almond milk, yogurt, whole eggs and vanilla.
- Finally, in one more bowl, beat the egg whites until they reach a soft peak consistency.
- Add the wet to the dry, then once combined, fold a bit of the whipped egg whites to the mixture to just incorporate. Then fold the rest of the egg whites in, along with 1 teaspoon of the sprinkles.
- Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles onto the bottom of the twinkie molds, then fill about 2/3 of the way with the batter. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Grease the baking sheets and then carefully unmold the twinkies onto the baking sheets, rounded side up. Bake for an additional 7-10 minutes until just lightly golden brown. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, cream cheese and sprinkles and transfer to a piping bag with a star tip.
- Once the twinkies are cool, carefully insert the tip into the bottom of the twinkies in a few places and fill with the yogurt cream cheese. Enjoy!
Updated on May 10th, 2019