These Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar are a tasty and healthy side dish for any BBQ, potluck, or grill out!
You all know I’m not a vegan, but I try to eat more plant-based foods more often. Well, one special meal I definitely don’t have often, but would probably not be able to swear off for good is BBQ. I love pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken – basically anything that’s been smoked. Well, if I’m going to treat myself to a meat-heavy meal, I definitely want to make sure I balance that out with some plant-based sides. That was the inspiration for these Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans!
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
Nothing gets me more hyped than a pot of this baked beans recipe cooking up in the instant pot. Whether I am prepping for a family bbq, or meal prepping for the week, I know that they will be a definite highlight! Here are a few more reasons why I am lovin’ up on this recipe this week.
- Inexpensive to prepare
- Have no added sugar
- Packed with fiber, iron, and protein!
- Impossible to mess up (aka extremely easy to make)
Beans – Beans are by far my favourite plant-based protein because they are packed with fiber and plant-based protein. For this recipe we are using two varieties – navy beans and kidney beans. But you can totally mix and match and/or add in you fav.
Sweet Apples – To add a hit of essential sweetness without any added sugar, we are using apples to sweeten up this instant pot baked beans recipe. It also adds an extra hit fiber and nutrients, which we love.
Dates – Another nod to natural sweetness comes curtesy of dates, which is arguably my favourite way to naturally sweeten ANY recipe.
Spices – I like my baked beans to be a complete flavour bomb. So we are not holding back on the spices and flavour add ins. For this instant pot baked beans recipe we are flavouring things up with smoked paprika, garlic powder, vegan worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard, and tomato paste.
How To Make This Recipe
Step 1: Place all of the rinsed beans and water in the Instant Pot. Close the pot to SEALING, and set it to BEANS for 25 minutes.
Step 2: Vent, then drain the beans. Then return the insert into the Instant pot and add the olive oil to SAUTEE.
Step 3: Add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients OMITTING the salt. Put the lid back on to SEALING, then set it to BEANS for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Vent, and allow to cool, then season with salt, pepper, and extra chili powder, to taste. Enjoy!
It’s important to rinse the beans before cooking! Not only does rinsing help improve flavor, but it also helps remove excess starch and salt. We also want to make sure to pick sweet apples for this recipe. Some great examples of apples you could use include fuji, ambrosia, or gala apples.
These instant pot baked beans pair beautifully with breakfast (a la standard English breakfast) or as a side dish to your summer bbq favourites. You could even enjoy them as beans on toast.
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free! Just make sure to check the packaged foods to make sure there are no gluten-containing ingredients added.
These instant pot baked beans keep for about 3-4 days in the fridge. They are also freezer friendly and can keep for about 3-6 months in the freezer, making them a great option for batch cooking.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you’re looking for more delicious vegan side dishes like these instant pot baked beans, check out some of these recipes!
- VEGAN CORN SPOONBREAD
- OVEN ROASTED BALSAMIC BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH GRAPES & FIGS
- EVERYTHING BAGEL GREEN BEAN FRIES (VEGAN)
- ZA’ATAR HONEY ROASTED CARROTS WITH CREAMY HUMMUS SAUCE
What’s your favourite BBQ side dish? Have you tried making my Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar?
Instant Pot Baked Beans (Vegan & No Added Sugar)
- Instant Pot
- 1/2 lb dried navy beans rinsed
- 1/2 lb dried kidney beans rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sweet apples peeled and diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or more to taste
- 5.5 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard or whole grain or dijon
- 1 cup minced pitted dates
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups no salt added vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Place all of the rinsed beans and water in the Instant Pot. Close the pot to SEALING, and set it to BEANS for 25 minutes.
- Vent, then drain the beans.
- Return the insert into the Instant pot and add the olive oil on SAUTEE.
- Add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients OMITTING the salt. Put the lid back on to SEALING, then set it to BEANS for 15 minutes.
- Vent, and allow to cool, then season with salt, pepper and extra chili powder, to taste. Enjoy!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.