These Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar are a tasty and healthy side dish for any BBQ, potluck or grill out!
You all know I’m not a vegan, but I try to eat more plant-based foods more often. Well, one special meal I definitely don’t have often, but would probably not be able to swear off for good is BBQ. I love pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken – basically anything that’s been smoked. But what I maybe love MORE is the sides. Is there really anything better than a sizzling cast-iron skillet of mac and cheese, tangy coleslaw and baked beans?
Well, if I’m going to treat myself to a meat-heavy meal, I definitely want to make sure I balance that out with some plant-based sides. That was the inspiration for these Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar! Most baked beans recipes are made with bacon (or other pork products), and a super sugary sweet sauce. Totally fine in moderation, but probably overkill with the excessive sweet BBQ sauce on the meat.
How to Make Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar
Beans are one of those things that need to cook low and slow. Well, unless you have an Instant Pot! Man, I love love love this thing. I don’t know how or why I held off on getting an instant pot for as long as I did but I’m really glad I have it now, if only to make these Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans.
This recipe takes a few steps but is so much faster to make in the instant pot and the result is delish. To add natural sweetness without added sugar, I mix in sweet apples, apple cider vinegar and a handful of dates. My son LOVED these and he’s not always a huge bean eater on their own. And I felt really good serving these vegan instant pot baked beans for him because there was no processed meats in it, no added sugar, and lots of iron and protein.
Yes, I created these vegan baked beans as a side dish to my beloved BBQ but they could EASILY serve as a vegan main dish with some grilled veggies and corn. Easy, simple and inexpensive. So so good!
What’s your favourite BBQ side dish?
Have you tried making my Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans with No Added Sugar?
Vegan Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Instant Pot
- 1/2 lb dried navy beans rinsed
- 1/2 lb dried kidney beans rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sweet apples peeled and diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or more to taste
- 5.5 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard or whole grain or dijon
- 1 cup minced pitted dates
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups no salt added vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Place all of the rinsed beans and water in the Instant Pot. Close the pot to SEALING, and set it to BEANS for 25 minutes.
- Vent, then drain the beans.
- Return the insert into the Instant pot and add the olive oil on SAUTEE.
- Add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients OMITTING the salt. Put the lid back on to SEALING, then set it to BEANS for 15 minutes.
- Vent, and allow to cool, then season with salt, pepper and extra chili powder, to taste. Enjoy!
Updated on July 1st, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.