These Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus is a gluten free Spring Easter side dish that’s light and balanced, yet a real show stopper for your guests.
I’ve never met a human that doesn’t like carrots. They’re naturally sweet, are vibrantly colourful, have a satisfying crunch when raw, and pack a smooth tender bite when cooked. Come Spring time when carrots are in season, they’re a fan-favourite at the Spring Easter spread- a vegetable that people actually look forward to eating. I don’t know what your holiday table looks like, but when there are carrots at the buffet, even the glazed ham loses some of its real estate on the plate.
Well, Easter isn’t the only thing worth celebrating this month. My favourite hummus, Sabra Canada, is celebrating its 10-year anniversary in April and showcasing amazing tasty ways to enjoy Sabra hummus. That gave me a delicious idea- my Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus Sauce!
How to Make Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus Sauce
These Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots will quickly become your family’s new go-to Easter side dish. Roasted in cumin and lemony za’atar with a sticky sweet honey glaze, they’re like candy but made of vegetables. VEGETABLE CANDY.
And yes, they would be tasty all on their own, but entertaining is all about presentation and that’s where the creamy hummus sauce comes into play. Since entertaining at the holidays is already so busy and stressful, I start with a container of Sabra Classic Hummus for the base of my creamy hummus sauce. With fibre, protein and healthy fats, it’s a lightened up way to round out an otherwise indulgent holiday meal. I also love Sabra’s deliciously smooth consistency, authentic recipe and simple ingredient list. It’s already got all the flavour. so all it really needs is a little loosening up with coconut milk and some complimentary aromatics like cumin and lemon.
Finally, making your plate super impressive is all in the garnish. I top my Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus Sauce with crumbled feta, pomegranate arils, pistachios and parsley. It’s a simple, impressive and naturally gluten free Easter side dish that’s sure to become a family favourite.
Become an Abbey’s Kitchen Subscriber
Now I want to know, what are some of your family’s traditional Easter side dishes?
Have you tried making this Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus Sauce?
How do you like to serve your carrots?
Leave me a comment below and don’t forget to share this post with friends!
Za’atar Honey Roasted Carrots with Creamy Hummus Sauce
- 1 lb multi coloured carrots large ones cut into ½” thick pieces, peeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch of fleur de sel
Coconut Hummus Sauce
- 1 container of Sabra Classic Hummus
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- ½ tsp cumin
- Juice of ½ lemon or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 3 tbsp pistachios shelled and crushed
- 3 tbsp parsley minced
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine the carrots with the oil, butter, cumin and za’atar in a baking dish or baking sheet.
- Roast the carrots for 20 to 23 minutes, or until the carrots are crisp tender, so that a fork inserted into the middle of one yields a little bit of resistance.
- Remove the pan and drizzle the carrots with honey. Return the baking dish to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and gently caramelized. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, mix together the Sabra Classic Hummus, coconut milk, cumin, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir on medium low heat until smooth and warm.
- When ready to serve, smear some of the sauce onto the bottom of a serving platter or tray. Top with the carrots. Garnish with the feta cheese, pomegranate arils, pistachios, and parsley and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Disclaimer: This post was developed in paid partnership with Sabra Hummus, however, all opinions are genuine.