These vegan key lime pies make for the perfect summer snack! Made with only a handful of ingredients, they are also gluten-free, no-bake, and loaded with healthy fats and protein.
Creamy, tangy, and absolutely delicious, you will love these mini vegan key lime pies. They are the perfect little bites that my little ones are obsessed with! Even better, these mini key lime pies do not involve baking so you can skip heating up the kitchen (hello hot summer days!). They are perfect for both special occasions and as a weeknight treat so grab the ingredients on your next grocery run and make these ASAP.
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
While I already know that these vegan key lime pies are delightful little bites, here are a few more reasons why you should make these treats!
- Super easy to make
- The perfect balance of sweet and tangy
- Make-ahead friendly
- Gluten-free and vegan-friendly
- Refreshing, satisfying, and perfect on a hot summer day
Avocados — Packed with healthy fats and nutrients, avocado is a must for this vegan key lime pie. They help make the filling absolutely creamy and luscious. Be sure to use ripe avocado as unripe avocados will be hard and won’t blend together smoothly.
Coconut milk — Coconut milk makes the filling lighter than traditional key lime pie but makes it just as creamy. Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk.
Key Limes — You can’t make a key lime pie without key limes! While they do come in bottles, I recommend just juicing your own as you’ll need the zest of the limes. Keep in mind that when ripe, key limes are closer to yellow than they are green.
Raw cashews — When soaked and blended, these cashews turn silky smooth. I don’t recommend substituting for another nut.
Dates — Did you know you can buy them pitted? This will save you some time and washing a sticky cutting board. The dates not only adds sweetness, but they’ll help bind your crust together.
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Combine dates, walnuts, coconut oil and salt in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
Step 2: Fill a muffin tray with 12 silicon muffin moulds. Press 1 spoonful of crust into muffin moulds until flat.
Step 3: Rinse the food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Pulse until blended.
Step 4: Add ¼ cup of filling to mould and top. Gently tap muffin mold against a counter to flatten filling and remove any air bubbles.
Step 5: Top each of the vegan key lime pies with lime zest.
Step 6: Cover with plastic wrap and set in the freeze for 2-4 hours or until hardened. Then garnish of some whipped coconut cream, toasted coconut, and a tiny lime triangle
I always recommend using real vanilla extract for the filling. Artifical extract just does not taste as good.
Fresh lime juice has a brightness and flavour that is difficult to recreate with bottled lime juice. Sometimes bottled lime juice has an aftertaste to it so use freshly squeezed key limes for this vegan key lime pie whenever possible.
Only take out how many ever you need from the freezer, it is difficult to put it back since it is so soft.
You can serve this right out of the freezer on a hot day, no need to bring it to room temperature.
Key limes are tarter and super-aromatic in comparison to regular limes. They also have a floral note to them. Unlike key limes, regular limes last longer in the fridge so if you purchase key limes, be sure to use them ASAP. If you are unable to find key limes, you can swap with regular limes.
If properly wrapped to prevent freezer burn, these mini key lime pies can last for up to a month in the freezer. Although, I recommend eating them as soon as you’re able to as the flavour will not be as strong over time.
If you don’t have pure maple syrup, you can try using agave or honey if you don’t have to keep this vegan. Keep in mind that maple syrup is not as sweet as the two so you’ll have to adjust the amount of sweetener added if swapped.
No! The key lime flavouring is strong enough that you won’t taste a ton of coconut throughout.
More Recipes You Might Like
Want more delightful little desserts like this vegan key lime pie? Give these ones a whirl.
- COOKIE DOUGH BITES (VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE)
- TOFU PUDDING WITH SWEET POTATO (VEGAN)
- EASY CHOCOLATE COVERED ESPRESSO BEANS (VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE)
Are you a fan of key lime pie? Let me know your favourite pie down in the comments below!
Vegan Key Lime Pie (Easy No Bake Snack)
- Combine dates, walnuts, coconut oil and salt in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Fill a muffin tray with 12 silicon muffin molds. Press 1 spoonful of crust into muffin molds until flat.
- Rinse food processor and add remaining ingredients. Pulse until blended.
- Add ¼ cup of filling to mold and top.
- Gently tap muffin mold against a counter to flatten filling and remove any air bubbles.
- Top with lime zest.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in the freeze for 2-4 hours or until hardened.
- Garnish of some whipped coconut cream, toasted coconut and a tiny lime triangle
- I always recommend using real vanilla extract for the filling. Artifical extract just does not taste as good.
- Fresh lime juice has a brightness and flavour that is difficult to recreate with bottled lime juice. Sometimes bottled lime juice has an aftertaste to it so use freshly squeezed key limes for this vegan key lime pie whenever possible.
- Only take out how many ever you need from the freezer, it is difficult to put it back since it is so soft.
- You can serve this right out of the freezer on a hot day, no need to bring it to room temperature.
Updated on August 17th, 2021
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.