I share my favourite Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers for an easy, fast and healthy gluten free BBQ recipe that the whole family will love!
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been cooking (and eating) a lot more plant-based recently. And no, this isn’t because I watched (and hated) What the Health (read about that hate here). It’s because I’m totally digging how much cheaper, easier and in some cases, healthier, getting more plant-based protein in my diet is. I spend a CRAZY amount of money each week on fruits and veggies, so if I can shave off a bit of my protein budget without compromising pleasure, I am totally game. In fact, the new Canadian Food Guide (which I talked about here) will likely be also making the suggestion to eat more plant-based protein. Not go vegan, but just eat less meat. All things considered, I had tofu on the brain and decided to whip up this easy Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers.
How to Make Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers
The hubs and I adore anything with grilled pineapple so I was pretty confident that even if he was not feeling the tofu thing, that he would be down for this meal. While tofu is pretty bland and boring on its own, marinating it in a crazy tasty sweet, salty and spicy sriracha sauce makes it OMG good.
The key to tofu success, however, is squeezing out some of the excess moisture by “pressing” it. I like to line a cutting board with a ton of paper towel, top it with my tofu and a few more sheets of paper towel. Then I lay a bunch of super heavy objects down and get that moisture out! That helps the outsides crisp up nicely, while the insides taste marshmallowy and delish.
These Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers make a FANTASTIC fast summer dinner but they’re also really easy to batch prep on the weekend for meals throughout the week. I paired mine with a little brown rice seasoned up with any residual sriracha sauce, and some broccoli cooked in a really hot pan with a splash of tamari. Sprinkle everything with sesame seeds and you’ve got a HELLA good meal any day of the week. Plus, because it’s both vegan and gluten free, it’s PERFECT for entertaining people with a wide range of dietary restrictions.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Make these Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers for a quickie dinner tonight!” quote=”Make these Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers for a quickie dinner tonight!”]
Now, I want to know, what is your go-to FAST protein-rich main for getting dinner on the table or meals ready for the week?
Have you tried making these Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers?
Are you a tofu lover or hater?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Vegan Sriracha Grilled Tofu and Pineapple Skewers
- 14 oz package of extra firm tofu cut into cubes and pressed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp sriracha depending how spicy you like it
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari
- 1 ½ tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 pineapple cut into cubes
- White and black sesame seeds
- Brown rice for serving
- Charred broccoli cooked in a bit of tamari for serving
- In a resealable bag, mix together the pressed tofu, garlic, ginger, sriracha, maple, tamari, lime, sesame oil and grapeseed oil. Allow the tofu to marinate over night or at least an hour.
- Preheat your grill to medium high and thread the tofu and pineapple onto soaked skewers, alternating between the two.
- Cook the skewers on each side until you get nice grill marks, just about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with charred broccoli, and rice and top with cilantro and sesame seeds.