These Vegan Baked Quesadillas are one of my favourite healthy kids school lunch box ideas that’s packed with iron, protein and veggies.
It’s back to school season, mamas and dads, and you’ve probably already hit a bit of a lunch box inspiration plateau. I got you. If the kiddos are super DONE with sandwiches and wraps, slide one of these Crispy Vegan Baked Quesadillas into their lunch boxes and get ready to get it back EMPTY.
Now, I know what you’re thinking – my kid is NOT down with vegan food. I totally get your skepticism. But the Crispy Vegan Baked Quesadillas are super “meaty” tasting and yet will absolutely fit the bill for your next meatless Monday.
What Makes these Vegan Baked Quesadillas High Protein?
I know a lot of families are trying to incorporate more plant based meals in their week, but not all vegan meats are created equal. I have always liked Yves Veggie Ground round in any recipe that calls for ground beef. I love that it has no artificial preservatives and it’s low in fat, and honestly tastes great. Baby E loves it, and my hubby (a beef man), had NO clue it wasn’t meat. One serving (1/3 cup) has 9 grams of protein and only 0.5 grams of fat plus 3 grams of fibre and 20% of your recommended iron for the day!
How to Make Vegan Baked Quesadillas Crispy
Yes! You CAN make quesadillas crispy without pan-frying them, saving you calories and a HUGE headache. I don’t know about your quesadilla flipping skills in an awkward frying pan but the struggle is REAL. Simply heat your oven to 400 F, grease the baking sheet with olive oil, and let it sit in the oven while you assemble the quesadillas. Then once it hits the pan, the vegan baked quesadilla will get a nice crispy crust immediately! I also give them a little spritz with olive oil in an oil atomizer.
Can You Pan-Fry these Vegan Quesadillas?
Of course! I’m just such a pan-frying struggler – all of the filling always falls out and I end up with a crazy mess (and burnt fingers) crying to re-assemble it.
Can You Make these Crispy Vegan Baked Quesadillas in Advance?
Yep! I bake off a big batch and they will last in the fridge for two days, stacked in a lunch box with parchment between the layers.
Can You Make these Baked Quesadillas Vegetarian?
Of course! If you eat cheese, simply use cows milk cheese!
Crispy Vegan Baked Quesadillas
- 4 large whole grain flour tortillas
- 1/2 package Yves Veggie Ground Round
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil for greasing Guacamole, for serving
- Salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a large baking sheet with olive oil. Allow the pan to heat up while you assemble.
- Divide the Yves Veggie Ground Round, bell pepper, tomatoes, cabbage and cheese between the four tortillas (onto one side only). Fold over.
- Transfer the quesadillas to the baking sheet and spritz with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cut into triangles and serve with guacamole and salsa.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.