These Everything Bagel Vegan Tofu Nuggets are a delicious gluten free, vegetarian dinner that’s easy, baked and perfect for kids and adults, alike!
A few weeks ago, I was posting Baby E’s dinner as per usual and it included an experimental batch of baked vegan tofu nuggets. I was shocked at how many people responded requesting the recipe so I thought I would perfect them, write them up, and of course make them extra delicious with everything bagel spice. I even added a tahini dip because my kid loves to dip. The result is a crispy baked vegan tofu nugget recipe that is brimming with everything bagel spice so they’re perfect for adults and kids!
what do i need to make these everything bagel vegan tofu nuggets?
These easy vegetarian nuggets are better the store-bought frozen nuggets that tend to have a lot of additives in them. You will need:
- Extra firm tofu
- Gluten free flour or regular all purpose
- Dijon grainy mustard
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Everything bagel spice (homemade or store-bought (affiliate)
- Vegan mayonnaise (or regular)
- Maple syrup
how do i make these easy plant based tofu nuggets?
To get that authentic nugget like shape, I like to rip, not cut, my tofu into bite size pieces. ThenÂ Layer some paper towel onto a baking sheet, top with the tofu, add another layer of paper towel and press down with heavy items (books, pots etc.) to squeeze out the excess moisture. You want to get the tofu really dry.
Meanwhile, preheat your baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 F.
Mix together the flour, cornstarch and baking soda in one bowl. In another bowl, mix together the mustard, water, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, and everything bagel spice.
Dip the tofu into the mustard mixture, then in the cornstarch mixture.
Arrange on a pan so nothing is touching, and spray generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with additional everything bagel spice and bake for 12 minutes, flipping half way through until golden brown. You can also give it a little extra spritz of olive oil when you flip.
To make the dip, mix together the mayonnaise, tahini, maple syrup and salt and pepper, to taste.Â Then get dipping!
can i make these everything bagel vegan nuggets in advance and rewarm them?
Yes, you can and then store them in the fridge between pieces of parchment paper and blast them in a 400 F oven for 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy again.
what if i want to make these everything bagel vegan tofu nuggets not gluten free?
You can use regular all purpose flour in place of gluten free if you don’t want these vegan tofu nuggets to be fully gluten free.
what is everything bagel spice made out of?
I’m admittedly obsessed with Trader Joe’s everything bagel spice – so much so that I have a collection of recipes that make it and use it. You can buy it on amazon online (affiliate), or you can make your own out of poppyseeds, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes and salt. Check out this link for the recipe.
can i use this batter on chicken to make everything bagel chicken nuggets?
You can turn these into everything bagel chicken nuggets by using cubbed chicken breast, but you may need to keep them in the oven for a few extra minutes depending on their size just until the inside reaches 165 F.
Can i make these plain for kids who don’t like everything bagel spice?
Yes! If your kids are picky about spices like garlic, omit the everything bagel spice in these vegan tofu nuggets and just use the garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder for a more classic chicken nugget flavour.
do you have other everything bagel flavoured recipes that are kid friendly?
Everything Bagel Vegan Tofu Nuggets
- 350 g extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dijon grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp everything bagel spice plus extra for sprinkling
- 6 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp maple syrup or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat for 10 minutes.
- Rip the tofu into cubes.
- Layer some paper towel onto a baking sheet, top with the tofu, add another layer of paper towel and press down with heavy items (books, pots etc.)
- Mix together the flour, cornstarch and baking soda in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the mustard, water, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, and everything bagel spice.
- Dip the tofu in the mustard mixture, then in the cornstarch.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spritz with olive oil. Add the tofu and spray the tofu nuggets generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with additional everything bagel spice and bake for 12 minutes, flipping (and spritzing) half way through until golden brown and crispy.
- To make the dip, mix together the mayonnaise, tahini, maple syrup and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with the nuggets and enjoy!
Updated on July 21st, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.