These Vegan Brown Butter Butternut Squash Noodles are the perfect Gluten Free Plant Based Zoodles recipe for an easy weeknight meal.
Cold weather calls for comfort food and there is nothing more comforting to me than pasta. And if there was ever a menu descriptor to catch my eye in these winter months it’s “brown butter”. GAH. Is there anything more luxurious than BUTTER that is caramelized to yield a SWEET and NUTTY flavour? I didn’t think so. But I am all about balance. Sure, I have no qualms about tucking into a big bowl of fresh noods soaking in the OG liquid gold, but for days I want to lighten things up, I go spiralize up some veg and call it a day. Today I wanted to celebrate the natural sweetness of some of my favourite veg by making this dish completely vegan and gluten free. If you’re trying to incorporate more plant based meals into your regime this year, let me make it real easy with these Vegan Brown Butter Butternut Squash Noodles.
How to Make Vegan Brown Butter Butternut Squash Noodles
Browning butter requires that the milk solids caramelize over a low heat. Its finnicky stuff as butter can go from clear to burnt in the time it takes you to answer a text. I wasn’t sure how it was going to work when trying to brown vegan butter, but with the same level of patience, it can happen!
The key really comes down to the type of vegan butter you use. Most margarine-like butters won’t brown, but if you find a vegan butter made of soy, cashew, almond or another nut, it will caramelize up beautifully.
I recommend browning your vegan butter in a pan with a light coloured bottom since nonstick or cast iron skillets with black bottoms can be hard to read. It’s impossible to see when the colour changes, and by the time you DO see something, it’s likely too late. Let’s not waste that gold!
I love pairing these vegan brown butter sauce with butternut squash noodles (or zoodles) but you can totally splurge and serve with a regular or gluten free pasta! It’s delicious with gnocchi, or a squash-filled ravioli too!
Now I would love to hear your thoughts – have you tried making my Vegan Brown Butter Butternut Squash Noodles?
Are you obsessed with brown butter like I am?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts! I would love to hear them!
Vegan Brown Butter Butternut Squash Noodles
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash spiralized
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 sage leaves
- 2 cups kale leaves finely shredded
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped and toasted
- Fleur de sel and fresh cracked black pepper
- To a pan with a light coloured bottom, heat the vegan butter over medium heat. Swirl the pan frequently and allow it to foam slightly and turn a toasted brown colour. Pour into a small ramekin and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, then add a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the sage leaves until crispy and drain on a piece of paper towel.
- Add the spiralized squash and saute until lightly softened, then add in the kale leaves and toss until wilted.
- Pour in the browned butter and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, top with the crushed hazelnuts and enjoy.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.