This creamy vegan mushroom soup with rosemary white beans is a great plant-based, dairy free and gluten free alternative to canned cream of mushroom soup with extra protein and fibre!
Baby it’s cold outside, and that means it’s 100% soup season. I was inspired to make this soup after having an amazing mushroom soup from Uber Eats (a place called Carol’s Cheesecake). It was actually completely dairy free, but still strangely creamy.
What do I need to make creamy vegan mushroom soup?
Here’s what you need to make a cream of mushroom soup without any dairy or animal products.
- White Beans (Cannellini Beans)
- Vegetable Stock
- Olive Oil
- Nutritional Yeast
How to Make this easy mushroom soup creamy and vegan?
The secret to making this mushroom soup super creamy and smooth and also vegan (without any cream or butter), is pureed white beans! Not only will they add a ton of protein and fibre (making this mushroom soup perfect as a main meal), but they also add body and thicken this soup up without dairy.
I start this vegan mushroom soup by sauteeing some mushrooms with thyme and rosemary. Then I set those aside and then sautee onions, garlic, celery and parsnips long with some extra thyme, rosemary and mushrooms. I then add the beans, stock, nutritional yeast and half the mushrooms, and let that simmer until everything softens. Finally, I puree the vegan soup in a blender and then return back to the pot with the mushrooms.
I like to garnish my soup with a little swirl of vegan sour cream and crushed nuts, but you can serve it just as is.
how much protein is in this recipe?
There is XYZ grams of protein in this cream of mushroom vegetarian mushroom soup thanks to the combination of white beans and nutritional yeast.
can this easy soup recipe be frozen for cold winter days?
You can definitely freeze this mushroom soup. I recommend letting it cool completely, then transferring it into 2 serving batches in a freezer bag that you lay flat on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, then you can stack them in the freezer a bit easier.
Can I make this creamy vegetarian soup in the slow cooker or instant pot?
You can adapt this vegan mushroom soup recipe to the slow cooker or instant pot. I would recommend using a cup less liquid, however, and if you find its too thick, you can always add more after pureeing.
Do you have other vegan soup recipes for winter?
We love winter soups here at Abbey’s Kitchen. Here are some of my favourites!
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup with Rosemary White Beans
- 2 tbsp Olive oil divided
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves only, divided
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves only divided
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 celery stalks minced
- 3 parsnips minced
- 2 19 oz cans white beans cannellini beans
- 6 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Lots of cracked black pepper and salt to taste
- To garnish:
- Vegan sour cream
- Pistachios crushed
- Hemp hearts
- Thyme leaves
- Add half of the olive oil to a large saucepot over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and half the thyme and rosemary. Sautee mushrooms until golden brown. Remove the mushrooms and place in a bowl or plate.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the saucepot along with the garlic, onion, parsnips, celery and remaining thyme and rosemary. Saute until the onions start to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add the white beans, stock, nutritional yeast and half of the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper and stir in the remaining mushrooms.
- Garnish with vegan sour cream, pistachios, hemp hearts and thyme leaves.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian, an avid food writer and blogger, a cookbook author and the founder of Abbey’s Kitchen Inc.