This delicious instant pot cabbage makes for a quick and easy plant-based side dish that is made in under 20 minutes!
Confession time: I am in a serious love affair with my instant pot these days. It fast tracks meals like nobody’s business which helps to keeps my hands free to tend to my mompreneur duties. Name a better kitchen appliance, I dare you!
So now that we’ve got my love for instant pots out of the way, I am excited to share one of my most recent favourite recipes to come out of this handy dandy cooking device – instant pot cabbage.
I don’t know about you but whenever I buy a whole head of cabbage, I RARELY get a chance to use up the whole thing. I mean there are only so many slaws, salads, and stir frys that I can throw it into. My solution? Throw it into the instant pot with a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and you have a delicious side dish that will last you all week!
Table of contents
Why This Recipe Works
Here are just a few reasons why we are loving up on this instant pot cabbage recipe in a big way:
- Good source of fibre (5 grams per serving)
- Uses less than 10 ingredients
- Takes less than 20 minutes to prepare
- 100% plant based
- Veggie packed!
- Great for meal prep
Red Cabbage – We use red cabbage for this recipe because it adds a beautiful pop of colour to meals and is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. However, you can absolutely substitute for green cabbage if that is what you have on hand.
Apple & Fennel – While the red cabbage can probably stand alone in this recipe, we like to kick things up a notch by adding in some flavour boosters by way of fennel and apple. The apple provides a bit of tart sweetness to the instant pot cabbage, while the fennel provides a lovely mild earthy flavour.
Flavour Add-ins – Heres where things get interesting. To make this instant pot cabbage taste extra yummy, we combine a tasty mixture of cider vinegar, maple syrup, grainy mustard, cider alcohol, and broth. Are you sold yet?
How to Make This Recipe
Step 1: Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add olive oil and let it heat up.
Step 2: Add in diced shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes till it becomes translucent. Add in fennel and apple and stir till it is nice and fragrant, about a minute.
Step 3: Mix in cider vinegar, alcoholic cider, vegetable broth, grainy mustard and maple syrup. Add the cabbage and stir till everything is well uniformly mixed in. Add a big pinch of sea salt and generous amounts of freshly cracked black pepper.
Step 4: Hit cancel on your Instant Pot. Close the lid and set the pressure valve to the ‘sealing’ position. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on manual mode for 5 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure. Open it carefully. Taste and adjust seasoning.
I recommend using a mandoline for shredding cabbage. It makes shredding 2lb cabbage so much easier.
This recipe is also great for meal prep! You can make a big batch over the weekend and use throughout the week as an accompaniment to meals, or as an add in to salads. It is also tastes delicious on its own on top of toast!
This recipe will last in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
Yes! This recipe is gluten free, however just make sure you are double checking the labels.
This one here is one of my favs and is insanely multi-functional!
More Recipes You Might Like
Here are more of my favourite recipes to make in the instant pot!
Whats your favourite recipe to make in the instant pot these days?
Instant Pot Cabbage (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 shallots diced
- 3/4 bulb of fennel finely shredded (reserve the fronds for garnish)
- 1 granny smith apples cut into matchsticks
- 1 head red cabbage finely shredded (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry alcoholic cider
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or stock cube mixed with water
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add olive oil and let it heat up. Add in diced shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes till it becomes translucent.
- Add in fennel and apple and stir till it is nice and fragrant, about a minute. Mix in cider vinegar, alcoholic cider, vegetable broth, grainy mustard and maple syrup. Add the cabbage and stir till everything is well uniformly mixed in. Add a big pinch of sea salt and generous amounts of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Hit cancel on your Instant Pot. Close the lid and set the pressure valve to the ‘sealing’ position. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on manual mode for 5 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure. Open it carefully. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, fennel fronds, a big squeeze of lemon and some more freshly cracked black pepper before serving.
Did you enjoy this instant pot cabbage? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments below!
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.