This Everything Bagel Vegan Mac and Cheese is the best easy family dinner recipe for inspiring more Meatless Mondays in your family.
Can’t stop, won’t stop with the everything bagel recipes. We’ve got these amazing chicken breasts, awesome devilled eggs, and NOW I’m back at it with an everything bagel vegan mac and cheese. Honestly, I gave this to the hubs and he was like NO WAY this is vegan. Yes way, my friend. Even Baby E gobbled it up.
Why Everything Bagel Mac and Cheese?
Who even asks that questions? Okay I guess I was the one who wrote it. But the answer is obvs. Everything bagel EVERYTHING is the key to life. It’s salty, crunchy, crispy, savoury, and pairs absolutely amazing with cheese and carbs (I mean, isn’t that also what a good Everything Bagel is all about?) It only makes sense that a vegan mac and cheese would deserve the same treatment.
How to Make this vegan Mac and Cheese
I like caramelized onions in all the things, and I think onions are a natural pairing wth everything bagel because onion is also one of the ingredients in the mix. It also adds a nice texture and amazing natural sweetness to this otherwise savoury dish.
The sauce in this mac and cheese is made from creamy cashews, lemon juice and nutritional yeast – all vegan staples that yield a surprisingly cheesy creamy “bechamel” like sauce.
And then there’s the topping- the everything bagel panko crust that will legit rock your world. Yes, you can just make the mac and cheese as is, but this everything bagel version really does make this dish something to be proud of. You can also just buy Everything Bagel spice, which makes this recipe even easier!
Either way, you’re going to REALLY look forward to Meatless Monday next week when this bad boy is on the rotation.
do you have more everything bagel recipes on the blog?
Do I ever! Here are some of my all time favourites.
Now everything bagel enthusiasts, what else should I be throwing that stuff on? Leave me a comment below if you’re loving this vegan mac and cheese!
Everything Bagel Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cup cashews soaked
- 1 1/4 cup no salt added vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons salt
- Heaping 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 375 g box of whole grain penne pasta use gluten free if needed
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
Everything bagel spice:
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- To a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant and caramelized, about 45-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a high speed blender, puree the cashews, broth, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast and turmeric until very smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the whole grain pasta for 2 minutes less than the recommending cooking time on the package.
- Add the pasta and sauce to the skillet with the caramelized onions and toss to coat.
- In a bowl, mix together the poppyseed, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes and kosher salt.
- In another bowl, mix the vegan butter and panko.
- To a 9 inch square or round oven-safe dish, layer half of the pasta and top with 1 cup of the vegan shreds. Add the remaining pasta.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of vegan cheese shreds, the panko breadcrumbs and the everything bagel spice. Bake for 10-15 minutes on the top shelf until browned. Serve immediately.
Updated on October 23rd, 2020
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.