These Everything Bagel Chicken Breasts are an easy and delicious family friendly dinner recipe that are also keto friendly, low carb and gluten free.
I wasn’t raised Jewish so I never got really into the whole bagel thing to be honest. I would much rather take a thick slice of challah, sourdough or even baguette to a dense carby bagel. But there is something undeniably delicious about an everything bagel. At least the top of it. I mean, would I happily lick the everything spice off the top of the everything bagel, leaving said bagel all soggy and clean out in the cold on its own? Yes, yes I would. So I figured it was likely time that I found a way to get my everything bagel fix the way I like it – on anything but a bagel. Introducing my Everything Bagel Chicken Breasts. My hubby’s Jewish family may be offended, but only until they tried this easy protein packed family friendly dinner.
How to Make Everything Bagel chicken breasts
It starts with my everything bagel spice mix. Yes, you can now buy this at Trader Joes, but I’m Canadian, and us northerners have been deprived of the goodness of TJs thus far. It’s also embarrassingly easy to make your own. It’s literally just a mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes and salt.
All I do is give my breasts a quick little sear in a hot pan, coat them GENEROUSLY with the homemade spice mixture, and then finish them in the oven until they’re cooked through.
This low carbohydrate, gluten free, simple supper idea is fantastic with green beans and quinoa, or sliced up and served on a bed of greens for a fast lunch. Either way, I recommend making a double batch of the chicken breasts so you can enjoy them all week long.
do you have any other easy chicken breast recipes?
Now loves, I would love to know what else would you put this spice mix on?
Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Everything Bagel Chicken Breasts
Everything bagel spice blend:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp lite cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt
- To a small bowl, mix together the poppyseeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion and salt. Set aside.
- To a medium skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onion and cook slowly until it reaches a dark amber colour. Transfer to a food processor and allow to cool.
- Once at room temperature, add in the cream cheese and yogurt and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat a grill pan with another tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a baking sheet and top with a generous sprinkle of the everything bagel mixture, reserving about 1/2 of it for garnish or another meal. Bake until the breasts reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Serve the chicken breasts with the cream cheese onion yogurt for dipping and garnish the plate with a sprinkle of the everything bagel seasoning.
Abbey Sharp is a Registered Dietitian (RD), regulated by the Ontario College of Dietitians. She is a mom, YouTuber, Blogger, award winning cookbook author, media coach specializing in food and nutrition influencers, and a frequent contributor to national publications like Healthline and on national broadcast TV shows.